• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Newspaper coming to farm

Let me share the story so folk will know how cool it is.  Wife goes to post office about every day with boxes of peppers n seeds.  People at the post office have seen the number increase over the years and are really rooting for us.  They have been there threw my surgeries and just about cheered when I could walk in there again.  Nice folk.

So evidently they have been mentioning us to a reporter for a county newspaper.  Today, wife was in post office same time as that reporter.  Folk at post office introduced wife to reporter.  He wants to come to farm with camera crew and do story about us.  I think it is kind of a disabled guy makes good sort of thing.

I am telling him late October for a couple of reasons.  First, pods are about falling off plants by then.  Lots of color.  Best time for photos.  Then there is the constant state of mess on the farm.  Seriously, when you can either mow lawn or fill orders, which gets done first?  I am always behind in yard work this time of the year.

I know it is just a county newspaper.  But this feels really cool.  From a business sense, I think it might attract local chefs and restaurants.  I would very much like to get back to some of the bells and other produce I used to grow, things that sold at the market we dont do anymore.  Imagine if people came to the farm and just picked up what they wanted.  No me going to market, No paying postage.

Swimming pools.  Movie stars.

Sounds awesome, AJ! I'm definitely rooting for you!

Having connections with people in general always pays off. People are awesome sometimes Hahahah!

There are a lot of Farms in Japan where you pay a price to get in and you get a small bowl so you can pick up whatever they grow there and take home. I think it would do great with peppers!

Whenever it happens, make sure to get us updated!

TakashiLM said:
There are a lot of Farms in Japan where you pay a price to get in and you get a small bowl so you can pick up whatever they grow there and take home. I think it would do great with peppers!

I dont want to do a you pick because oh damn the insurance is a killer.  But I am fairly sure having a farm stand / pick up point wouldn't be horrible.  We are now growing 3 variety of paprika to build seed stock.  Have already built up things like Trinidad Perfume, Trinidad Cherry, Trinidad Sweet, and other not super hots.  Thinking chefs can make good use of those not so hot peppers.

Dont get me wrong.  We are doing well via mail order, love growing super hots, but there are other markets and I really want to provide decent jobs with decent pay for good folk. 

AJ Drew said:

I dont want to do a you pick because oh damn the insurance is a killer.  But I am fairly sure having a farm stand / pick up point wouldn't be horrible.  We are now growing 3 variety of paprika to build seed stock.  Have already built up things like Trinidad Perfume, Trinidad Cherry, Trinidad Sweet, and other not super hots.  Thinking chefs can make good use of those not so hot peppers.

Dont get me wrong.  We are doing well via mail order, love growing super hots, but there are other markets and I really want to provide decent jobs with decent pay for good folk. 

That's a good point I didn't think about.

Anyway, I hope for the best. Cheers

Other not supers I'd suggest would include Criolla De Cucina, Pimente De Bresse, Padron, Any/all mild to medium 'Hatch' type varieties and Aleppos.

All of the above have multiple uses; fresh eating/frying or roasting, but also can be ground into powder for spice mixes.  Chefs will want them at all stages - fresh, roasted (and bagged/frozen), and dehydrated (whole or ground).  

Also a farm stand would be great - especially if you have something already standing that can be converted in time.  Local farmers do this all the time around here - you'll see small hand painted signs for eggs, sweet corn, tomatoes, peppers, etc.  Many times when you drive up the stuff is already packed in little pints or what have you with a little lockbox chained to a tree.  You grab what you want and put the money in the box and go.  

Back