• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair - Bowls of Bonnets

Starting chili peppers here next to my chair in my little library again! :dance:
This one-windowed room at the southeast corner started as a place to read quietly and store my books. Over the last few years it's become not only my refuge, but also a WFH office, a light workshop, and a productive year-round indoor garden. The place has become commensurately cluttered and is badly in need of an exceptionally ruthless purge, so I fished out an old shot of a tidier time to head this year's glog on our spiffy new forum. (Siv's plant!!) (So spartan!) Ah..
It looks more like some hermit's rat hole in a cyberpunk novel now, lol. You'll see it eventually, I'm sure.

20190602-161429.jpg

I've got enough superhot powder stocked up to go to war and I luurve Scotch Bonnets, so I'm going to grow mostly bonnets this year. I've got some good ones. These seeds went into the germinator after this photo. I've also got a TFM and a Zapotec jap I'm overwintering, so seven chili pepper plants this year. I'll start some cucamelon seeds, too, when my new tent arrives.

20220213-161610.jpg

Really looking forward to the HSH and the Marabella - both were gorgeous plants with gorgeous pods last year. Thanks again @JGBaxter59 for the caramel beast seeds!

Some inspirational bowls. Mmm.. I can just taste them..

bowlsofbonnets.jpg

Good luck this year, everybody! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Last edited:
Those orange bonnets look great.
Nice phenotype on the Freeport Orange!

I think they're all getting the sweet pickle treatment this year. It's everybody's favorite. The extra colors will be pretty, too.

20190604-181353.jpg

How do you make that? I already have quite a harvest of bonnets. I can't make powder of all of them and can't use them all fresh either. This might be a good thing to try...

How do you make that? I already have quite a harvest of bonnets. I can't make powder of all of them and can't use them all fresh either. This might be a good thing to try...
I'd like the recipe too - if there is one :D

Sweet Pickled Rings

~1lb (~0.5kg) chile peppers, sliced and seeded
2 large shallots, sliced
2 cups (475mL) white wine vinegar
1/2 cup (120mL) sugar
3 tablespoons (45mL) water
2 garlic cloves, minced
pinch of salt

Stack the pepper and shallot slices in quart (litre) jars. Pack the jars all the way to the top or everything will float. (I think it looks goofy; I give away most of these.)

Mix all other ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Pour boiling mixture into packed jars.

Close jars tightly and allow to cool. Then refrigerate.

(You can alternately slice the garlic cloves instead and pack them into the jars with the chiles and shallots.)

The brine makes a great hot sauce when the peppers and shallots are gone. ;)

Last edited:
Hey Unc, you remember about how many seeds (or plants) you started with in the hanging pot? That thing looks very thick/dense. I agree by the way - makes a really pretty hanging plant. I might give them a try next year.

A bit late to the party, but that was amazing to catch up on. Those plants and Bonnets have me fired up to try growing some - thank you!

Those SRP look spectacular as well. I think I recognize the packet, are those straight from Chris Fowler?

Last edited:
A bit late to the party, but that was amazing to catch up on. Those plants and Bonnets have me fired up to try growing some - thank you!

Those SRP look spectacular as well. I think I recognize the packet, are those straight from Chris Fowler?

Yes, got them from Chris.

Back