• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Next year's hydro plans...

I know I've just posted about overwintering, but I'm also planning a bigger/better setup for next year.

The plan is something like this:
untitled-1.png
untitled2.png

It's a garland "titan" tray 100x55x15cm = 65l, sitting atop one (with some woodwork) or two (with some laziness) 35l "really useful" boxes

There will be six plants in 19cm square net baskets (for pond plants). A pump inside the box pushes water up into the piping which is drilled with a load of holes to drip out. From this year's 200l/h vs 400l/h for one plant, I think about 1000l/h will be about right. The water drains out through a shower waste back into the box. I've used seramis as a medium this year and been impressed, but it's a bit pricey so I'm going to get some tesco low dust lightweight cat litter which is much cheaper and apparently the same stuff (according to bonsai forums :)) I'll let you know how it looks...

Too hard for me to draw on my first go with sketchup is the splitter in the pump->tray pipe so I can pump out the water for replacement, and the clear tube up the side of the box to give an indication of water level.

I'm not sure whether I should pump air through too if it should be into the tank or into the base of the tray. I'm favouring the latter at the moment.

Finally, what about a uv sterilizer to kill off unwanted nasties in the water? (one like you'd use for an aquarium) I've noticed this year's bucket has that slightly slimy quality on the submerged pump and hosing...

Alistair

so if i understand correctly, this is a sort of mini ebb and flow table but, you are dripping from the pipe framework instead of flooding the whole tray?
sounds alright to me.

if i might be so bold, have you considered using chlorine instead of uv to keep your reservoir sterile? i think it would save you money, as well as do a better job. cl2 would kill off pythium(root rot) microbes in much the same manner as h202 as well as that slime you mentioned, but remain at residual levels much longer. the only downside i know of is that sodium/calcium hypochlorite raise ph somewhat.

if your plants are in soil, and you are using organic nutrients i would stay away from chlorine, as it would probably effect your bennies

oh yea and if you choose to use chlorine stay away from strong aeration as it will offgass all the chlorine in hours.

edit:
i forgot to mention, i use chlorine in my hp aero setup with great results. ive seen my reservoir at 85 degrees with absolutely no slime or gunk or what have you. i pump through 50micron inline filters, and ive never seen anything other than a hair inside them.

Back