• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Nice Mild Pepper For Pickling

Montmorillonite said:
Nice selection of low heat peppers from Russia, thanks!
Don't mention it! :)

Montmorillonite said:
I bet this one is from Bulgaria. The name means nothing more than "small red pepper". I think varg will confirm it as the name is from Russian (or Bulgarian which is quite closely related to Russian) and transcripted from Cyrillic.
I think you're right that Chervena Chuska (червена чушка) are Bulgarian words and they mean just a red pepper. :)
Russians use a word "perets" instead of Chuska and Chervena Chuska sound like krasniy perets (red pepper) in Russian

I love pickled Bishop's Hats, along with Starfish peppers the Starfish peppers are hotter,  but they can be deseeded the same goes for Jalapeno's that vary in heat.  I grew some Jumbo jalapeno's that were hot,  but had good flavor especially when fully ripe,  but when I deseeded them to pickle for my 91 year old mother,  they came out with just enough heat that was just right. Thai peppers and Some that where marked as Pakistani peppers were great also. To help keeping the peppers from going mushy add a small amount of Pickling Lime to your pickle mix. works great.

Back