• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Nitrogen versus Phosphorus?

I was wondering if there is a point where you begin adding phosphorus and reduce the nitrogen added to the soil for potted chilies? My soil is made of:

"Organic Nursery contains:Organic Horse Compost 1/8- red lava sand, 5/16- crushed red lava rock, 1/4-fir bark, Oyster shell flour, Blood meal, Bone meal, Kelp meal, Azomite and Soil Sulfur."

I fertilized them once with Fish Emulsion about a month ago. Basically my question is, should I fertilize once more with fish emulsion, should I use a different type of fertilizer, or just leave them alone?

Most of them have been growing flowers for a month and about 1/4 of them are growing peppers now.

I am in Sonoma, California

I have:

Thai Peppers

Habanero-Savina

Manzano

Serrano

Jalapeno

Chinese 5 color

Bulgarian carrot

Long thin cayenne

Black Hungarian

Vietnamese multicolor

Thai red chilli

Beaver damn

Sweet Carmen

Filiius Blue

6frWh.jpg

When the plants start to bud would be a good time to cut back on N depending on how much N you use. I have used a low N% on all my plants since first feeding them. The fert I use is 3%N. I also have fish fert and blood meal in case my plants need a little N boost. Using less N and more phosphorus will help the plant to concentrate on budding/flowers/pods rather then mainly rather then just leaves and stem growth. Also some pests like higher N in plants

Back