• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

No cutting room. Made wife sick.

Bowl of peppers to the left.  Bowl of seeds in the middle.  Bowl of cold water on the right.  Pick up pepper, cut, drop seeds into middle bowl, drop shell into bowl of cold water.  Theory being, the cold water will keep the fumes down.  Ye, does anyone know a good divorce lawyer in Kentucky.  It isnt that bad, but wife acted worse than I did any of the times I was hit with the real pepper spray.  We met when we were both older.  I am starting to think she lied about her past and was not nearly the protester I had thought.

So thinking I have to build a cutting room.  Has anyone else gone that route or do folk just prop a fan in the window or something.  Guys, she was really having troubles.  Kids were find, I was fine, but wife was barely able to breathe.

ajdrew said:
Bowl of peppers to the left.  Bowl of seeds in the middle.  Bowl of cold water on the right.  Pick up pepper, cut, drop seeds into middle bowl, drop shell into bowl of cold water.  Theory being, the cold water will keep the fumes down.  Ye, does anyone know a good divorce lawyer in Kentucky.  It isnt that bad, but wife acted worse than I did any of the times I was hit with the real pepper spray.  We met when we were both older.  I am starting to think she lied about her past and was not nearly the protester I had thought.
So thinking I have to build a cutting room.  Has anyone else gone that route or do folk just prop a fan in the window or something.  Guys, she was really having troubles.  Kids were find, I was fine, but wife was barely able to breathe.
Hahaha dam!! Sorry to hear about the wife. Sometimes it affects Heather sometimes not depends on the pepper.
I do cut them in front of my kitchen window with fan seems to cure that problem but still wants me to cook them outside!!!! Lol. Hope she feels better tell her Heather is on her side lol

I put up a sheet in the doorway, and put a fan in the window blowing outside. It works better if you have another window letting fresh air in also.

Hmmm...

I know my tolerance to the heat is up there (Just look at what I eat & drink :)  ) but I really thought my Wife was either exaggerating or just being a wimp when she coughs and complains that she is choking as soon as she walks in the kitchen.
Now i'm starting to wonder :think: ...
maybe she is just very tolerant of the insane level that i have taken this hobby  :twisted:
*she does make me do the eye test (stick your finger in the corner of your eye to prove you haven't been handling anything spicy) before i'm allowed to touch her though  :)
Maybe were both Insane  :crazy:

I hope she get's used to it, because this dehydrator might be running until December this year  :lol:

sirex said:
I don't have room for all that fancy stuff. Cassie and the kids suffer the fate of the pepper daemon (see what I did there :) )

Ya know, I had a list of suspected Pepper Daemons and you were not even near the top.  I really thought it was Hot Pepper providing all that entertainment.  What ever floats your pepper boat.  Guy, that stuff was fun.  At first, people believed you were serious.  I was like, uh should I screw with him or should I try to convince him to seek professional help.

Karoo, my closest are a hike away.

juanitos said:
i do most my pepper stuff in the garage.
outside on the patio under a fan is nice too.
Ye, I gotta clean the car port tomorrow if I want seeds for next year.  I live in a Momarchy.  Thought it was a Dicktatorship, but mama told me better.  Car port isnt that bad this time of the year.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
Hmmm...

I know my tolerance to the heat is up there (Just look at what I eat & drink :)  ) but I really thought my Wife was either exaggerating or just being a wimp when she coughs and complains that she is choking as soon as she walks in the kitchen.
Now i'm starting to wonder :think: ...
maybe she is just very tolerant of the insane level that i have taken this hobby  :twisted:
*she does make me do the eye test (stick your finger in the corner of your eye to prove you haven't been handling anything spicy) before i'm allowed to touch her though  :)
Maybe were both Insane  :crazy:

I hope she get's used to it, because this dehydrator might be running until December this year  :lol:
lmao ! same here , my wife won't touch me till its over  !       :onfire:

I can get away with de-seeding in the kitchen, but chopping and purée-ing happens in the garage. She swears that the fumes cause her throat to close up...

The dehydrator is in the guest bathroom with the vent fan running...I hope that fan doesn't fail!

Cutting and seeding in garage. Have to dehydrate first several days in detached shed 30 yards from house until majority of fumes are gone then finish up in garage since it has air conditioning and lower humidity.

jcw10tc said:
Cutting and seeding in garage. Have to dehydrate first several days in detached shed 30 yards from house until majority of fumes are gone then finish up in garage since it has air conditioning and lower humidity.

That's my default too unless I have the house to myself for enough hours to get it all done. 

So I'm a bit of a noob with processing but I was thinking of drying a good portion of my stuff this season.  Are the fumes really that bad?  I live and grow in a large studio apartment (I have floor to ceiling windows facing south all along one wall that are great for growing).  Will my apartment become uninhabitable?  Am I going to have my neighbors busting down my doors cause I've pepper sprayed my whole floor?

QuatroCrazy said:
So I'm a bit of a noob with processing but I was thinking of drying a good portion of my stuff this season.  Are the fumes really that bad?  I live and grow in a large studio apartment (I have floor to ceiling windows facing south all along one wall that are great for growing).  Will my apartment become uninhabitable?  Am I going to have my neighbors busting down my doors cause I've pepper sprayed my whole floor?
Depends on the person. I can cut hottest pods in the world for hours in closed up garage, doesn't bother me at all. If I got in house and cut a nice pungent yellow moruga or similar in half my wife smells it in other room and lets me know about it. Few weeks back put all the cutting boards, knives, chopper, etc in dishwasher, and rest of family was coughing like crazy while in kitchen. It had no smell but must have been some fumes of capsaicin coming out. It all depends on the person, but typically non Chile heads have very little tolerance for the fumes also.

I think maybe its like bee stings. Where some people might build up immunity, even the previously allergic, some people go from not allergic to anaphalactic allergic.

jcw10tc said:
Depends on the person. I can cut hottest pods in the world for hours in closed up garage, doesn't bother me at all. If I got in house and cut a nice pungent yellow moruga or similar in half my wife smells it in other room and lets me know about it. Few weeks back put all the cutting boards, knives, chopper, etc in dishwasher, and rest of family was coughing like crazy while in kitchen. It had no smell but must have been some fumes of capsaicin coming out. It all depends on the person, but typically non Chile heads have very little tolerance for the fumes also.
Yeah, I never have issues unless I'm directly over some cooking superhots and even then I'm usually just sneezing or coughing.

Question about cutting boards..  do you guys like using wood or plastic?  I have a plastic board that I like to use for meats since I can toss it in the dishwasher to sanitize it.  I was thinking that's probably the move for pepper prep also since I was thinking the capsaicin may leach into my good wooden boards over time.

Back