• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

baccatum No Heat Baccatum?

Okay, so I am quickly falling in love with the flavors of Capsicum Baccatums.  I made some stuffed Orchid peppers last night with dinner (stuffed with sausage and colby jack cheese).  In the review I did on the Orchid I noticed only a faint amount of heat.  However, my wife took one bite of the stuffed peppers last night and her eyes instantly welled up with tears.  She said it was way too hot for her.  She loved the flavor, but the heat was too much for her.  I thought it would be tolerable for her, but obviously my heat tolerance has me to a point where I can't accurately tell if she will be able to handle the heat.

So I want to see if I can get a general consensus from you guys as to what would be a good no heat to very low heat baccatum that we could both enjoy? 

compmodder26 said:
Okay, so I am quickly falling in love with the flavors of Capsicum Baccatums.  I made some stuffed Orchid peppers last night with dinner (stuffed with sausage and colby jack cheese).  In the review I did on the Orchid I noticed only a faint amount of heat.  However, my wife took one bite of the stuffed peppers last night and her eyes instantly welled up with tears.  She said it was way too hot for her.  She loved the flavor, but the heat was too much for her.  I thought it would be tolerable for her, but obviously my heat tolerance has me to a point where I can't accurately tell if she will be able to handle the heat.

So I want to see if I can get a general consensus from you guys as to what would be a good no heat to very low heat baccatum that we could both enjoy? 
pm sent

I was about to say, give Ajijoe a call! Come on Joe, what would you recommend to all of us?

The Aji Bolsa de Dulce Joe created is superb and has less than Jalapeno heat. Another low heat variety is called Kaleidoscope. 

I find that with many baccatums, removing the placenta and all the ribs can reduce the heat level by 90%. As I assume you did that when you stuffed the Orchid Peppers, it may not be quite enough for your Wife. Mine is the same way and she struggled to eat cheese-stuffed Bishops Crowns when I made them recently. 

Nigel said:
I was about to say, give Ajijoe a call! Come on Joe, what would you recommend to all of us?

The Aji Bolsa de Dulce Joe created is superb and has less than Jalapeno heat. Another low heat variety is called Kaleidoscope. 

I find that with many baccatums, removing the placenta and all the ribs can reduce the heat level by 90%. As I assume you did that when you stuffed the Orchid Peppers, it may not be quite enough for your Wife. Mine is the same way and she struggled to eat cheese-stuffed Bishops Crowns when I made them recently. 

Joe recommended the Aji Bolsa de Dulce.  Not sure how I missed the review you did on that one, but it seems like it might fit the bill for me.  

And yeah, I removed all of the placenta out of the Orchids.  It's a shame, because the flavor of the sausage, melded quite nicely with the flavor of the Orchids.  Love, love, love that Baccatum flavor!

Nigel said:

hello mate
what do you think PM sent is all about?? LOL

thanks for the reccomendation your a true friend
your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
hello mate
what do you think PM sent is all about?? LOL

thanks for the reccomendation your a true friend
your friend Joe
That`s private. Recommend some to the entire THP family!!! Blow your own horn...........

I grew aji habanero (a baccatuum) in the past couple of years and absolutely love, love, love the flavor of them. They can be a tad sneaky though - I tend to much on them as I'm picking pods (they're small and rarely make it into cooked food, as they are just too easy to eat right off the plant.) Most pods (same plant, even) have little to no heat, but from time to time you'll get a pod that has a surprising amount of heat. Not HOTTT, just hotter than most of the aji habanero pods. It is quite possible that your wife got a pod like that. 

It is true of all varieties that you can get varying level of heat across different pods from the same plant. That's one significant reason why scoville ratings are either given in a range or "about" some number, instead of an absolute. 

Brazillian Starfish - I eat these all the time. I sent some to Mike and his son did a review. I call these 'family friendly' peppers. Wonderful taste but very safe on the heat side.
Now, I need someone to recommend the opposite. I need a baccatum with some heat lol!!! I love the flavor but need something with some kick to it.
Thanks!

Little chilehead in the making! Haha that's so awesome. Did a better reviee than I could, look out Nigel. ;)

Brazilian Starfish are awesome. I think mine might actually be hotter than my bishops crowns are though.

I am growing some Fatalli Panambi's which the description says are supposed to have little heat. The plants are only a month old so it's going to be a little while till I can taste it. I can't wait to try them. Here is the description.

Panambi
C. baccatum
2.80 €

Add to Cart

Very sweet, mild (actually quite non-pungent), quite thick fleshed absolutely great tasting baccatum variety for the ones who like mild chile peppers and want to have prolific and easy-to-grow plants.
Very nicely shaped pods.
Rare.

Very fast grower which grows nicely in pots.

Challenge: 1 (very easy to grow)

Bigmark said:

I am growing some Fatalli Panambi's which the description says are supposed to have little heat. The plants are only a month old so it's going to be a little while till I can taste it. I can't wait to try them. Here is the description.

Panambi
C. baccatum
2.80 €

Add to Cart

Very sweet, mild (actually quite non-pungent), quite thick fleshed absolutely great tasting baccatum variety for the ones who like mild chile peppers and want to have prolific and easy-to-grow plants.
Very nicely shaped pods.
Rare.

Very fast grower which grows nicely in pots.

Challenge: 1 (very easy to grow)

Sounds good, really love my Fatalli's. Love to try that one just for flavor. Where to buy seeds? Do tell.

SL3 said:
Sounds good, really love my Fatalli's. Love to try that one just for flavor. Where to buy seeds? Do tell.

Ok, I'm a little slow but I think I get it now. Panambi from Fatalli seeds.net. Not another variety of the Fatalli Pepper.  :rolleyes:

geeme said:
I grew aji habanero (a baccatuum) in the past couple of years and absolutely love, love, love the flavor of them. They can be a tad sneaky though - I tend to much on them as I'm picking pods (they're small and rarely make it into cooked food, as they are just too easy to eat right off the plant.) Most pods (same plant, even) have little to no heat, but from time to time you'll get a pod that has a surprising amount of heat. Not HOTTT, just hotter than most of the aji habanero pods. It is quite possible that your wife got a pod like that. 

It is true of all varieties that you can get varying level of heat across different pods from the same plant. That's one significant reason why scoville ratings are either given in a range or "about" some number, instead of an absolute. 
Agreed, Aji Habanero, 99% of ripe pods have little to no heat. Once in a blue moon you'll find one with some spice to it. With the right genetics and growing conditions, it has the potential to turn into a monster plant with hundreds of pods. Even the non-ripe pods taste decent (not grassy).

Found a couple of other types that are supposedly mild ~ Christmas Bell and Kovinchu

And it looks like Fatalli Seeds . net has a couple of other mild Baccatum varieties as well.

Back