• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds No more small lots of seed permits?

I applied for a small lots of seed permit and got a very hard to understand, automated response a few days later. Basically stated that it's not legal to receive Capsicum seeds from the requested countries. I figured I'd try applying again, listing fewer countries, but I started poking around the USDA website first.

Found a statement in the Plants for Planting Manual (see pp. 57) that "A Small Lots of Seed Permit cannot be issued for small lots of Capsicum spp. seeds or small lots of Solanum lycopersicum seeds due to specific requirements for entry"

Digging deeper, this is because of a Nov 2019 federal order stating that tomato and pepper seeds can no longer be imported without phytosanitary certificate and some other requirements until risk assessment for Tomato brown rugose fruit virus is completed. How long that takes is anyone's guess.

It's good that USDA is putting precautions in place to prevent spread of virus in the US. But I'm really disappointed that I won't be ordering from Semillas la Palma for the 2021 season.

stringer said:
I applied for a small lots of seed permit and got a very hard to understand, automated response a few days later. Basically stated that it's not legal to receive Capsicum seeds from the requested countries. I figured I'd try applying again, listing fewer countries, but I started poking around the USDA website first.

Found a statement in the Plants for Planting Manual (see pp. 57) that "A Small Lots of Seed Permit cannot be issued for small lots of Capsicum spp. seeds or small lots of Solanum lycopersicum seeds due to specific requirements for entry"

Digging deeper, this is because of a Nov 2019 federal order stating that tomato and pepper seeds can no longer be imported without phytosanitary certificate and some other requirements until risk assessment for Tomato brown rugose fruit virus is completed. How long that takes is anyone's guess.

It's good that USDA is putting precautions in place to prevent spread of virus in the US. But I'm really disappointed that I won't be ordering from Semillas la Palma for the 2021 season.

Needless to say this has been tossed around quite a bit. Two things, a recent thread about this is here USDA Small Lots of Seed Permit where the owner of Semillas posted:

semillas said:

stringer said:

Thanks for "digging deeper" stringer. I was also denied last week.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Needless to say this has been tossed around quite a bit. Two things, a recent thread about this is here USDA Small Lots of Seed Permit where the owner of Semillas posted:

Just to be clear folks, the USDA is not currently issuing 'Small Lots of Seed Permit' for tomatoes and peppers because of the Tomato Brown Rugose Fruit Virus.

However, I was issued a permit for Phaseolus!

It is difficult to detect seeds with traditional scanners, especially if it is only a small amount. Larger busts are traditionally made because customs notices a large amount of compacted organic matter inside a container where it is not supposed to be.

It is bad for the economy to manually screen every package :)

It is also difficult to screen organic matter :)

I would not be worried for small amounts.

ahayastani said:
It is difficult to detect seeds with traditional scanners, especially if it is only a small amount. Larger busts are traditionally made because customs notices a large amount of compacted organic matter inside a container where it is not supposed to be.

It is bad for the economy to manually screen every package :)

It is also difficult to screen organic matter :)

I would not be worried for small amounts.

I would normally say that you're correct; however, I work in tech, and an R&D lab, at that (where machine learning and AI are a big part of my every day).  You'd be surprised at how easily a trained process can make probablistic determinations that envelop the target criteria, rather than having to sense it, directly.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised - given the state of the world, at the moment - to see enhanced scanning, to accommodate increased restrictions. (wouldn't be manual scanning until a problem is detected)

BigAg has found yet another wretched ‘loophole’ for seed control. Politicians don’t think this type of stuff up on their own. SADLY, more viral and pest issues surround the IMPORTATION of fruits and vegetables (which they care not to speak of ) than any small lot seed transaction. More ‘shenanigans’ from the world of GREED.

Back