• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

"No, Mr. Stick, I expect you to die...."

Does this pre-death look natural to you? Two other plants have gone through the same process and died. Lose their leaves, start dying from the top. It could be more than two, but I wrote off a few to the stresses of bringing them in for the winter a few months ago. I'm down to a seedling and two other plants after this one goes. None of the remaining ones are showing signs of stress yet. Well, they're not exactly the bushiest because they're inside, but they've got leaves and colour to them.

k1483k.jpg

Any thoughts?

I have seen something similar with a few overwinters last year. I did not ever really figure out the cause, but with my plants, the roots had died. It was possibly a fungus or insect damage. Sorry, I realize that is not very helpful. Good luck.

Could be some sort of fungal disease,try treating the soil/plant w/some hydrogen peroxide. Here's a reference chart to help you out http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Good luck,

Nick

+1 - fungal and treat with hydrogen peroxide. I've had that with overwinters in the past, myself.

And thanks for the link, MR_POTS! I've always heard a 1:10 ratio, but the chart is handy.

So you'd say that it's not a normal risk for just being brought in for the winter? Something else is likely going on?

Thanks for the suggestions. Should I mix it and water just like normal, or should I be aiming to cover as much surface area of plant + soil as possible with the mixture?

I'd suggest trying to spread it around when you water. The problem is usually in the soil, not the plant itself.

"Normal risk" for being brought in for the winter..... What's normal in your area may not be in another, and vice-versa. Since I had the same problem with some overwinters I'd say it's probably not an uncommon risk, but probably not one that everyone is subject to.

I agree with everyone else on the fungus, but the cause of the fungus is likely root rot from over watering. It seems like it can only be one time you over water and if you don't notice it and correct it right away, the roots start to die, a fungus sets in and the plant dies. I've lost one plant this year and have a few others with root damage but seem to be living through it so far.

Pics of my carnage are in my glog here in post 9 and 10. My plants are undergoing a continual hydrogen peroxide treatment like mentioned above until all of them are better. In addition to killing fungus, H2O2 adds extra oxygen to the soil as it breaks down which helps the roots as much as killing the fungus.

Back