• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Non-pepper Growdown Throwdown?

YAMracer754 said:
Why can't I get my Jing orange to germinate? I have had no problems with spineless Clemson and 16" Louisiana long pod but have tried for months with different Jing orange seeds to no avail...

Love all your different varieties would love to try em all! And dig the idea of a GDTD with okra!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
 You can soak the seeds in water till the root pops out then transplant it. It usually takes a few days. 

Good Luck, let em know if it worked.

nmlarson said:
I'll bite. I'm a glutton for punishment, given the wacky weather I've had to grow in the past couple of years....
What is it about 60-70 degree temp swings and non-stop rain that you do not like? Can't call this weather a one off anymore. Our local climate has drastically changed starting around 5 years ago.

P.S. I would be trout fishing instead of gardening if I was in SCPA.

My suggestion for these growdowns has always been mano y mano or 3-4 person grows. It would quiet all the people who feel slighted by their weather. You can pick within your zone or state and make something up. Could be biggest yield in a 1 gallon pot,indoor only,etc.. infinite possibilities really. It would add a much needed boost to the old and tired "what's your fav pepper" topics.

Pr0digal_son said:
My suggestion for these growdowns has always been mano y mano or 3-4 person grows. It would quiet all the people who feel slighted by their weather. You can pick within your zone or state and make something up. Could be biggest yield in a 1 gallon pot,indoor only,etc.. infinite possibilities really. It would add a much needed boost to the old and tired "what's your fav pepper" topics.
My initial research indicates that you are 6b I'm 6a. Thats pretty close. We have time to start an Annuum if we hurry lol

Walchit said:
My initial research indicates that you are 6b I'm 6a. Thats pretty close. We have time to start an Annuum if we hurry lol
I am just getting ready to start seeds. Wilds I start mid-feb and all domesticated species mid-march.  I put Pittsburgh on my profile because it is recognized easier than the town I live in. I'm actually 45 minutes north of there in 5b. Same thing pretty much...maybe 3 degree difference on average. There are some interesting landscapes in this state and often times people will get frost 1/2 mile from me and I won't at all. I don't mess around with outdoor gardening until after Memorial Day.

Pr0digal_son said:
What is it about 60-70 degree temp swings and non-stop rain that you do not like? Can't call this weather a one off anymore. Our local climate has drastically changed starting around 5 years ago.

P.S. I would be trout fishing instead of gardening if I was in SCPA.

Yes, if I liked trout, I'd probably be fishing, too!  You've got some nicely stocked streams up there, don't you?

This year, I'm going all container gardening.  At home.  In an enclosed golf cage to keep the critters out.  Even some hydroponics outside.  We'll see if that works out any better.  Last year, in the community garden, my garden neighbor was too lazy to pull weeds and too cheap to buy weed block.  So what does he do?  Lays some free rubber roofing he found as his weed block.  Soooooo, every time it rained, guess where all the rain went?  I planned raised rows to deal with the wild swings in weather we'd been having, but I didn't count on a monsoon (August) AND a moron.

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Yeah....really easy to grow.  Then, they want to take over the world!  A couple of years back, I planted 3 seeds along the perimeter fence on my community garden plots.  I'll bet they covered, and I mean COVERED, 10 linear feet of 4 feet high hortanova trellis.  It wouldn't matter that much to me, except I don't find them to be particularly tasty, fresh or pickled.  One plus is they yield like gangbusters.  On the other hand, I can't give them away...... :rolleyes:

They can go crazy. I would use caution if growing in a tropical climate or you will have an invasion. My gherkin bed is about 6ftx9ft and they out grow that area by August. A 4ftx4ft raised bed is covered by mid July. I start mine in a 3gallon pot with no bottom. Raised almost half way out of the bed. All they want is water and heat. Very little fertilizer. A old tire on the bed works great too. Heats up fast in the spring and holds some water inside. By mid June the plant has covered the tire. We did this all the time for cukes and melons when i was young.

Mine tasted nearly identical to cucumber. I used them the same way and it would be hard to tell the difference with a blindfold.

Back