• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Noob! How to transfer heat of powders into meat?

I'm looking to make some 'Roulette Drumsticks' for Memorial Day.  The idea is similar to the chips - that the legs will look identical, all covered with the same sauce and then grilled, but that a few will have an extra heaping helping of hellfire in the meat itself. 

I've got a fair variety of powders.  Everything from Cayenne, Thai, Lumbre to Reaper, Yellow Brain, Fatalii, Bih-J, etc.

So - how do I coax the capsaicin out of the flakes and deep into the meat?  I suppose I could syringe them, but was also wondering if vinegar or ? could act as a carrier.
I'll peel any skin prior to preparation, and am willing to soak for many days if necessary.  :twisted:

Thanks!

Geo,

I'd prepare some seasoned salt - normal regular 'lawrys' type stuff - and then hit all the drumsticks with it.  Just take em out the package and dust em up.  After that I'd take my hot powders and go back over the select few with the heat.  Then grill and sauce at the end of cooking like you normally do.

The problem with a brine or marinade is that not much of the heat will actually penetrate.  Injecting is an option that should work but drumsticks aren't going to take much of an injection ya know?  Edit: you really don't want chicken sitting more than a day or so after purchase prior to cooking.

If possible I would also do 2 batches of sauce - one with heat and one without any.  That little extra fire in the sauce will help amp things up.  

OK.  Thanks, Smokin'

I was hoping for a deep heat, so as to make nibbling less effective at detecting the live ones, and thought that maybe there actually was some magic potion that would penetrate the meat fairly well.

TY

hogleg said:
Why not fry them. For the hot ones mix superhot powder 50/50 with flour. Once they're sauced, shouldn't be able to see the difference.

Or you could just marinate in Pure Evil  :hell:

Either of those options will also work.  

What hog leg and SnF said.

hogleg said:
Why not fry them. For the hot ones mix superhot powder 50/50 with flour. Once they're sauced, shouldn't be able to see the difference.

That's a thought.
I don't have a lot of spices.  Are any of the pre-mixed breading kits halfway decent?  

I do not think any option will get heat to the bone, all the other options provide more than enough heat. The proper marinade or breading with perfect heat and nobody will be able to tell if it came from the exterior or interior of the chicken. 

You could do a spicy brine for 24 hours then air dry in fridge, coat with a spicy breading then fry. This should provide a depth of heat and flavor. 

I tell you what. Popeye's marinates them overnight in a batter, then they put a seasoning packet on them, coat them with their flour mix, puts them back in the batter and then flour again and then fries them.

What I might do is make a batter with the chili in it and soak it over night. Add the chili to the flour also, then after frying you can coat it in with a glaze that has the chili in it. Or use a different chili for each thing. A fatalii for the batter, and perhaps a cayenne for the flour and maybe the yellow brain for the sauce.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
You could do a spicy brine for 24 hours then air dry in fridge, coat with a spicy breading then fry. This should provide a depth of heat and flavor. 

That is great advice.

I wet brine poultry and use powder in the brine as well as fine powder dusting before cooking(grill/oven)
I use sauce to hide the heat and they are wonderful

I don't deep fry, or use batter, so I would let them swim in a salty/acidic/generously spiced marinade, then dip them in a dry rub directly after cooking (I typically use either the oven, or a charcoal grill, although a frying pan would work too).

Your mileage may vary; there are countless ways to pour a beer.

hot stuff said:
I tell you what. Popeye's marinates them overnight in a batter, then they put a seasoning packet on them, coat them with their flour mix, puts them back in the batter and then flour again and then fries them.

You posted it.

Now spill it senor.

What's the batter and all the other sheeit!

I'm hopping you'll fold under police questioning.

Unfortunately, the chicken comes to the stores soaking in the marinade. But from what I could tell it's simple beaten yokes with perhaps salt, pepper and cayenne.

The mild spice mixture thrown on the battered chicken is mostly white pepper. The spicy is mostly cayenne. It's all prepackaged so it's hard to tell in more detail than that. I was only 17 at the time and I hadn't developed my taste buds yet for figuring out recipes. But that's what my eyes saw.

Back