• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

noob questions again :)

hello, theres few things i want to know your opinion on. so here they are:

1) how do i overwinter? i should dig out plants before first frosts, do some cuts and then can i just put them in the basement? they wont need to much light since they wont have any leaves in winter and 5-15 C temperature should be ok too? then i assume i put them back on the window sill in the spring.

2) when pods rippen seeds are ready to be collected or is it better to leave them for few more days on the plant to be sure?

3) is eating very hot peppers dangerous in any way? (like 50.000 SHU and more)

thank you.

Seeds are viable right as the pod starts to change color, sometimes even before that but it's best to let the pod show signs of ripening first.

You can overwinter them any means you want, just give them plenty of light and water when they are thirsty. Remove them from the elements before the temperatures drop below 40 F. Foliage death can occour as high as 36 F!

Hot peppers do not cause ulcers, they can however make an existing one worse.

They are great for you, only side effect is going in and coming out, but I think you would agree, most people enjoy the going in part over the coming out part!

Ohh and a while back some lady from india ate like 50 some Nagas (hottest in the world, 1,000,000 SHU) in a row and if she died or anything bad happened to her I think we would have heard something by now. :)

It's all worth it in the end :)

I don't know whether you are talking about growing thru the winter or forcing the pepper into dormancy...they are definitely two different subjects...

Richard is talking about growing thru the winter...

AlabamaJack said:
I don't know whether you are talking about growing thru the winter or forcing the pepper into dormancy...they are definitely two different subjects...

Richard is talking about growing thru the winter...

i think i was talking about the other thingy - dormancy

Pepper don't go dormant but you can keep them semi-dormant by keeping them cooler with few hours of light. Finding the right temps and amount of light to keep them alive without much growth is always the tricky part.

Back