• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Noob Transplant Help

Here are some poor pics of some of my peppers and 'maters.

I have read here that these ought be potted up (3x3x3) when they have two sets of "real" leaves.

A couple of these do have four leaves (guess that's two sets) so I'm thinking they are ready??

Can you see from the pics if you would pot up any of these yet? The plants that might be are Kung Pao, Pepperoncini and Beefsteak few tomato seedlings.

Help please......

5595306614_e8cb60d10d.jpg
[/url]

5594722845_d6a3e40fa2.jpg
[/url]

[
5594720777_3f3b45c06f.jpg
[/url]

Not yet, wait till the third pair of leaves. The first are the cots not actual "leaves". You want a little heft to your seedlings before you go tugging on them.

Have patience!
I'd wait another week or so. There will be more of a root ball which will make transplanting a breeze. The way they are it would be difficult to transplant them without stressing the plants.

+2 on waiting. You really want somewhat of a root ball befroe you pot them up like POTAWIE said. You can wait till you see some root in the bottom hole of the tray, that's what I did anyway and it sure made if easy to remove and pot up.

those are cotyledons - the fake leaves. Next will come a set of true leaves, and then another set. When you've got two full sets of true leaves, or that is to say, 6 total green things sticking out from the stem, then it's about time to up-pot. But imho no harm is done waiting a little longer than the 2nd set of true leaves. What you've got there is too young for up-potting.

they look young to transplant

try to lower the lights closer to the tops of seedlings
or raise the plants closer to the lights
the growth rate will accelerate the closer they are
if the little edges of the leaves burn just move up about 1/4 or 1/2 inch
flourescent tubes at 1 to 1 and a half inch is pretty good
cfl types maybe 4-6" try to get the lights really close
let us know and see how it is growing!

:eek:

Thanks all,.....just takes patience. :)

Further, being my soilless seed starting mix has pretty much zero nutrients, are they fine in this until I have sufficient size to pot-up, or should I be giving them something to eat as we wait for proper size.

I'll be potting up to Pro Mix BX with a bit of Tomato Tone mixed in. They will remain in that until I transplant to ther garden in Late May.

Up until present, they have had nothing but water from me.

it's just my opnion, but I would wait untill they have 2-3 sets of leaves before I fert. then I use a 1/4 stringth liquid fert. basicly very weak, even after potting up. There is plenty of advise and research on this forum, I just don't have any links at hand.good luck, you have a good looking start there.

Back