• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Not Assassin bugs and weird trilobite things wreaking havoc

So these big bug things which look a little like assassin bugs are eating my tomatoes. What are they and how do I get rid of them? These were orange but the first time i saw one it was a solid brown. They're not my main problem though. It's these weird white things which are spreading everywhere. 

20160327_162018.jpg

Ok, so back to my main issue. Here's what I've noticed. At one point I had what i thought were ants farming scales. They were hard little things that were on the stalks mainly, but there were fuzzy white things which surrounded it. Now they're all over my tomatoes and my guava tree. Not so much my peppers anymore. What I haven noticed is ants are all around them sometimes alive, but I've also noticed a lot of dead ants near them as you can see in the picture. This reminded me of the fungus which takes over ants  and the ants will take other infected ants away from the colony to let them die and not get infected themselves. What the hell is this? The only thing i've really been doing is spraying them off with high pressure water.

These ants were dead
20160323_173221.jpg

20160323_173249.jpg

This is what they look like, kinda like a trilobite. This is a close up on the guava stalks and leaves 

20160327_162200.jpg

20160327_162212.jpg

BigB said:
any suggestions / experience on how to control them besides water spray? 
Water spray is probably a bad idea, too easy to end up with a fungus problem, especially towards fall. I'm sure some people prefer an organic approach but I just use Sevin dust. It'll kill practically every insect pest, including pollinators so use it sparingly and be sure to wash it off of food (after harvested).

floricole said:
250 ml of rubbing alcohol in 1 liter of water to control mealybugs (do a test before doing all the plant)

or with horticultural oil (growing season)
So yes rubbing alcohol works well too. I have actually just used a q-tip and dabbed it in alcohol and directly applied it to them and they turn browning and die. Of course you need to dilute it and make a spray because you have ALOT!! lol

Back