• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not really sure what's going on with my plants.

This is an aribibi gusano plant that had been growing rather nicely for a time, but ever since its growing tip split, the leaves have been coming out deformed and brown as pictured. It's growing in peat-based Pro Mix premium that was fortified with a bit of worm castings and a sprinkle of azomite. Past that, they've just been getting a deep watering whenever the top inch or so of soil feels dry and as much sunlight as they can take without drooping.

IMG_20191219_162922.jpg

It also has dropped a few developed leaves from the upper part of the plant, and they generally started showing symptoms like this before they fell off.

IMG_20191219_162939.jpg

All of my plants growing in the same medium display similar symptoms to varying degrees.

From doing research I've seen it suggested that this could be a calcium uptake issue or possibly nutrient burn though the latter seems a bit unlikely as the symptoms took a long while to develop after I initially transplanted them up from one gallon fabric pots into seven gallon fabric pots.

I haven't actually done soil/water PH testing to make sure things are okay in that regard, though. I've also noticed that the root systems of the plants growing in the Pro Mix tend to be rather sparse regardless of whether I use the mix straight out of the bag or fortify with organic fertilizer unlike similarly-sized nursery plants that tend to be a solid mass of roots by comparison.

i am no expert at growing and my grow conditions are nothing like your`s but you say you water them a deep watering when the top inch is dry. my plants droop in the hot summer days and i used to get all shook up over this but after a while learned that this is normal. try backing off on fertilizing and watering a bit and see what happens. a lot of new growers think pepper plants need a lot of care. i only fertilize once or twice during the growing season. water sparingly. 

I'm starting to think there might be a problem with the hose water as it smells rather strongly of both chlorine and metals. Running the water for a while does seem to reduce the scent a bit, but it still smells more strongly then the tap water in the house. A plant that was previously looking awful has started to put out some normal-looking foliage after I gave it another watering but after making sure to run the hose for a good while prior.

I think I'm going to try at least letting the water sit for a long while to allow chlorine to evaporate and see if it helps the plants any and also set out rain barrels to capitalize on the winter showers.

Back