• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue Not shiny/waxy/sheeny (don't know the word!)

I'm new to this, but have a pair of jalapeno plants throwing out a second round of peppers. During the first round, everything looked good, and the peppers were great, though one plant threw peppers that weren't hot. Now that same plant is giving me a bunch of pods, but they are all matte. As in the skin is not shiny, there's no sheen to it. I've searched for an answer to the cause/issue, but I'm not even sure what words to use.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

PXL_20220913_121104132~2.jpg

Nights are getting a bit cooler now?.....just guessing here
Sort of, but cooler here means they're getting down to 60 or so this past month. We did have a bit of a heatwave, but it didn't pass 100.

I just googled "jalapenos matt not shiny" and these comments on reddit came up - no definitive answer but you're not the only one with this problem
That's the only thing I ran across as well, and I didn't see any ideas there apart from maybe a magnesium deficiency.

An update in case anyone finds it interesting. One of the peppers ripened. Everything looks right inside. Forgot to take the picture until after I sliced it open.

PXL_20220915_171947804.jpg

Then I ate it and it was sugary sweet. It tasted almost exactly like a cherry tomato or sweet red bell. The peppers I pulled from the other plant (same seed pack) are hotter than the average jalapeno.

Oh well, still getting good pods, and learning as I go.

(Edited to reduce in-line picture size.)

Last edited:
Back