• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Not So "Golden" Cayenne

I picked this Golden Cayenne plant up a few weeks ago. It already had a pod growing on it. I have red cayennes and I was curious what the goldens are like. As the photos show, it is not quite what it should be.

This was about 2 weeks after I transplanted it. As you can see the pod is on there. I have a mesh cover over the plant and bucket to help keep it from cross pollinating with my red cayennes.

2012-06-15_183959.jpg

Starting to change colors. I was getting pretty excited as I have never had one before and could not wait to eat it. Except it is not shaped like a cayenne.

2012-06-20_182604.jpg

Yellow is not what it is turning out to be. Looks cool though.

2012-06-22_163514.jpg

As of 2 days ago it was completely red. You can see another pod on the plant behind it.

2012-06-25_075900.jpg

Here it is with a shot of with another pod growing on the same plant. The other pod looks like a cayenne.

2012-06-25_075939.jpg

Today I picked it and figured I would give this one a go. It is not as long as cayennes, stubby, smooth and rounded at the end. It was also rather firm for a cayenne.

2012-06-25_160253.jpg

Cut in half I was surprised with how thick the walls of this little guy was. Not very many seeds either.

2012-06-25_162648.jpg

This was a great tasting pepper. The flavor was similar to a jalapeno, but with the heat of a cayenne. It had a nice crisp texture to chew and had a hint of sweetness to it, also a nice lingering sting on my lips.

I do not know what this pod crossed with, but I am saving the seeds. Hopefully I can get them to germinate. It would be interesting if they are viable and grow.

Hey at least it tastes good! If you still want to try golden cayenne, I have some green pods rite now, I can hook you up with some seeds once they ripen. That is of course if they turn out to be yellows!

My yellow cayenne from Lowes turned out to be a red cayenne... kind of disappointing... but oh well. :) It at least looked like a cayenne... I am not sure what kind of strange hybrid you have going there...

I appreciate that Fireface.

We will see what my green ones turn out to be. Being that they are covered I still have my fingers cross that they will be yellow. They came from a good source. They are growing much faster than my reds and I expect them to turn pretty soon.

That pepper was good and worth trying to grow out.

Back