• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Not sure on all this composting horse manure but...

HotPeppas

Banned
I do have a big a@@ pile of dried horse dung from my pasture thats been outside in a pile for months on months...

now will this work as compost to a pepper garden or do i have to do something special with it?

I do have a big a@@ pile of dried horse dung from my pasture thats been outside in a pile for months on months...

now will this work as compost to a pepper garden or do i have to do something special with it?
Just kneel facing Churchill Downs and knock your forehead three times on the ground... ;)

Just kidding... If it's composted enough to avoid burning your plants it should be fine. I used about a yard of three-year-old horse manure in my six by thirty foot pepper plot along with some other soil amendments and no problems.

If its been aged a few months I would think it is fine to mix in with the soil or to apply to the surface as needed.

Is it done?

You need to know if it is done, the way you can tell is buy mixing it up then in a day or 2 look at the middle and see if its hot. If it is still heating up aka cooking, then it needs more time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVR2M1HFZXk&feature=related

if it's been out there for months it should be good to go... horse poop isn't very "hot" to begin with so doesn't take long to become ok to use.

Just make sure the C/N ratio is right. C is carbon-rich brown material and N is nitrogen-rich/green material. 30 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen will give you clean compost.

If you use too much carbon the compost will take long. If you use too much Nitrogen then the pile will smell bad.

I used a few trash bags of composted horse manure in my garden this year, as well as composted cow manure. It was from a horse riding farm and it was composted for a year I think. So far so good.

You can apply horse manure directly to pepper plants without burning them... Too much and you can hurt your harvest though (as with any N rich fert).

My collards are surrounded by a combination of horse and rabbit manure, and they grow like crazy. Every week I get two grocery bags full of collards off my 8 plants. ~72 quarts of it in the freezer so far @,@

Back