• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Not transplanted high enough

Title sums it up, when I transplanted my Carolina reapers and Habaneros I don't think I potted them up enough.
So they are growing outwards with big leaves faster than growing vertically. The big leaves are growing into the sides of the 16oz cups, should I cut away at the tops of the cups so that the cup line is below the bottom leaves but still a 1/2" above the soil?
Or do transplant type procedure and add more soil below and drop the plant back in?

Anyone done this before? Or would you just leave it, I just don't want to worry about air flow under the leaves to the soil. They're not gigantic leaves but are starting to turn downward because of the cups edge.

I'd say six of one, half a dozen of another, probably. My general preference is to disturb the roots as little as possible, as plants sometimes go into slight shock after being transplanted. Since you just did, transplanting again so soon might cause some shock. However, if all you're doing is slapping a tad more soil on the bottom, in theory it shouldn't be a biggie, just be gentle. Otherwise cut the cups down a tad.

How close is your light to your plants? Move the light up a bit. How long is your light schedule. If they get enough light right where they are, they will have no need to grow up towards the light. Give us a little more information about your setup please.

Back