• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Nothings happening

Made this batch of jalapeno hot sauce and it has sat for over a month now. Nothing seems to be happening...
eWwcNKk.jpg

Opened it and the top was sealed on there and heard a suction when I pulled it off. Should I add something? Throw it away?

what's the ingredients? 

The one on the left does look like it has bubbles, but hard to be sure.  Any burping? too much burping?

oldsalty said:
Ok am I writing in invisible letters I asked you a question. Now git to answering!! :)
Haha sorry, it doesn't smell bad, it kinda smells like hot sauce I guess. Haven't done a ph test, the only ones I have are for soil where you drop the pill in it or whatever. As far as bubbling there isn't much going on. Should I add more salt?

Bpoole55 said:
Haha sorry, it doesn't smell bad, it kinda smells like hot sauce I guess. Haven't done a ph test, the only ones I have are for soil where you drop the pill in it or whatever. As far as bubbling there isn't much going on. Should I add more salt?
No don't open jars once fermenting if it was bad would have a smell like rotting garbage. Looks ok would add a cabbage leaf to hold down mash next time and definitely invest in a ph meter if you want to keep doing ferments.
There relatively cheap and really a must have :) I do see a lot of bubbles on jar sides, also look into a cheap airlock set-up just for piece of mind!
If it smells ok you should be fine some of my ferments move very slowly others bubble like mad usually depends on the sugar content. :) Also as RocketMan will tell you never open jars while fermenting this is a fermenting 101 NO NO!!!
Don't panic all looks well if you've waited 45 days or more open and process but please get some ph testing equipment even some test strips for peace of mind but if it smells good I think your OK!! :)

Bpoole55 said:
So is it ok if I eat it
Ok I really like to check my ph levels when ferments are done but they look ok! So how long exactly have they been running and do the they smell sweet and sour not off just nice pepper smell
Bpoole55 said:
So is it ok if I eat it
I asked SmokenFire to jump on this he's very savvy and a great guy!! :)

oldsalty said:
Ok I really like to check my ph levels when ferments are done but they look ok! So how long exactly have they been running and do the they smell sweet and sour not off just nice pepper smell
I asked SmokenFire to jump on this he's very savvy and a great guy!! :)
From what I remember they smell a little like peppers. Not really sweet and sour

Bpoole55 said:
Almost a month I think
Well I usually go 45 /60 and up have a one year batch coming up!! :)
But lots of members do 30 day less sour but still great from my understanding.
So the smaller one would be the test jar next time try to keep brine and mash levels closer to 2 inches from top
Less room to push out oxygen if low on peppers use smaller jars :)
SmokenFire must be busy was hoping to get his opinion. I would open smaller amount and do a smell test then let me know. Also if you hit quote button ill know your answering me :) ill be a little quicker! :)

oldsalty said:
Well I usually go 45 /60 and up have a one year batch coming up!! :)
But lots of members do 30 day less sour but still great from my understanding.
So the smaller one would be the test jar next time try to keep brine and mash levels closer to 2 inches from top
Less room to push out oxygen if low on peppers use smaller jars :)
SmokenFire must be busy was hoping to get his opinion. I would open smaller amount and do a smell test then let me know. Also if you hit quote button ill know your answering me :) ill be a little quicker! :)
Yea I'm just going to chop things up next time and not purée them because the brine on the left sat at the bottom most of the time. The small on the right was more mixed up. So under 30 days it will be a little sour?

Bpoole55 said:
Yea I'm just going to chop things up next time and not purée them because the brine on the left sat at the bottom most of the time. The small on the right was more mixed up. So under 30 days it will be a little sour?
I grind my mashes but on a large setting keeps mash somewhat chunky. The longer it sits the more sour notes you pick up but that tang is why you don't need vinegar :) no worries can you post another pic of the smaller jar please.

Batch on the left has suspended bubbles and looks to be fermenting.  Batch on right I can't really see - too much headroom though.  No trace of molds or growth on top, so that's a good sign.  Loosely fitting lids will also out gas without you really knowing if they are or not.  Ferments w green (unripe) peppers will take some time and might not really have too much activity because there's less sugar in the green fruit.

Pepper ferments don't usually proceed anything like beer or wine making where you can literally see the action.  If you've got bubbles suspended in the mash that's lacto eating sugar and letting off CO2.  

If they've been sitting a month chances are good that most of the sugars have been eaten.  I'd advise you invest in a couple airlocks and some pH strips or a meter - best to know where you're at rather than take risks.  That said your eyes and nose will tell you if something has gone awry - let them guide you on this batch.

oldsalty said:
I grind my mashes but on a large setting keeps mash somewhat chunky. The longer it sits the more sour notes you pick up but that tang is why you don't need vinegar :) no worries can you post another pic of the smaller jar please.
I saw somewhere on here that someone used a food mill after and was going to dry the peppers for powder. Does a food mill just separate the liquid and peppers left over?

SmokenFire said:
Batch on the left has suspended bubbles and looks to be fermenting.  Batch on right I can't really see - too much headroom though.  No trace of molds or growth on top, so that's a good sign.  Loosely fitting lids will also out gas without you really knowing if they are or not.  Ferments w green (unripe) peppers will take some time and might not really have too much activity because there's less sugar in the green fruit.

Pepper ferments don't usually proceed anything like beer or wine making where you can literally see the action.  If you've got bubbles suspended in the mash that's lacto eating sugar and letting off CO2.  

If they've been sitting a month chances are good that most of the sugars have been eaten.  I'd advise you invest in a couple airlocks and some pH strips or a meter - best to know where you're at rather than take risks.  That said your eyes and nose will tell you if something has gone awry - let them guide you on this batch.
I've been looking at an electric ph tester for about $20 are electric ones good and reliable?

Back