• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Noticed some bacterial leaf spot issues on leaves - not just in my garden. Opinions wanted

This year I have a couple pepper plants in my in my garden that are showing a couple signs of baterial spot. Noticed it in my neighbor's gardens and others in the area as well (Central Pennsyltucky). Today I took a walk up a nearby mountain with my dogs over lunch. Noticed that many of the plants up there aren't doing well with some having similar symptoms. I've walked this trail for over 5 years and have never seen anything like it, though some symptoms are understandable with the cooler than usual and very wet weather we've been having over the past couple weeks. Here's what I saw (apologies in advance for crappy cameraphone pictures):

MtnPlant2.jpg

Never seen this kind of damage on this type of plant in the spot I took the picture

MtnPlant5.jpg

Same species about 1/2 mile away.

MtnPlant10.jpg

Even the Mountain Sage which is REALLY hardy and never blinks an eye at almost any conditions is showing deficiencies and some sort of leaf spot. Never seen that before in this spot.

MtnPlant9.jpg

Extreme chlorosis. Never seen it this bad up on the mountain this time of year. Not even close.

MtnPlant6.jpg

Can't really see in this picture but there is brown bacterial-looking spot on this random paulownia tree that somehow ended up there.

GardenPlant1.jpg

Worst looking pepper plant in my garden (color is off on camera phone, its a lot more green than that). Has those spots.

GardenPlant2.jpg

Closeup of the paulownia near my garden (and one of my dogs). Same spots - I've never, ever seen this sort of thing of thing on these plants.

So what I do know is that this happening not just to peppers but on a lot of local peoples' gardens right around me, and its happening to plants up on the mountain. The part I can't figure out is I carefully spot treated two plants in my garden (peppers) with cupric sulfate and neem as a control. Absolutely no effect other than fewer bugs around those two. I know that bac-spot is not technically a fungus but I've spot treated with cupric sulfate in previous years and worked so that was good enough for me.

Any ideas what is going on here? I'm not worried about losing my crop or anything, just very curious as to what's causing it. Also noticed that my tomatoes are completely unaafected, which is weird and this spotting affects cilantro too (though hardly noticable).

Thanks in advance for your input! Hope someone out there knows what it is so I don't think "It's all the Cesium-137 from Fukushima!!"

Not a pandemic. There are fungal, bacterial and viral spots everywhere. If conditions are optimal for colonization then it's gonna happen. Best way to prevent bad fungi bacteria and viruses? Introduce good ones in the billions of spore concentrations. :)

I just treated my stuff with H202, 1 cup(3%) per gallon of water(filtered) then sprayed on top and bottom of the leaves and entire plant.

I just treated my stuff with H202, 1 cup(3%) per gallon of water(filtered) then sprayed on top and bottom of the leaves and entire plant.

I think that ends up being about 0.2% H2O2 - does it "whiten" the plant at all at that concentration? Never seen anyone do that before but I know higher strength H2O2 is great for general hydroponics and especially cleaning out lines @ 3%+

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try it tomorrow at sundown on a couple plants as testers.

OK, just treated @ 0.2% H2O2. Marked the three treated plants with string on the drip tape.

How long will it take to notice a difference and should I be treating at sundown? There was some decent cloud cover today and I just had the items out to do it now. Should I try this every day for 5 days or just let it go at one treatment?

Never used H2O2 as a foliar treatment before.

Thanks!

H2O2_1.jpg

H2O2_2.jpg

I would do it at sundown. As I understand it, H202 breaks down rapidly in sunlight. So doing it at night would ensure that it maintains its anti-microbial properties longer. Also wetting the leaves in direct sunlight could cause burn spots too.

Treated again this evening. After hitting the three "testers" twice with no damage, I did the whole 380 linear row feet. The testers seem to have arrested the spot spread so I'm real happy.

Also noticed today that the soldier bugs nymphs around here hatched. They look like mini scorpions with red tails and eat everything in sight. Noticed a few leaf hoppers and aphids on the tomatoes the other day. Since I've seen the soldier/wheelbugs I haven't seen one all day. Go nature!

I would do it at sundown. As I understand it, H202 breaks down rapidly in sunlight. So doing it at night would ensure that it maintains its anti-microbial properties longer. Also wetting the leaves in direct sunlight could cause burn spots too.

OK, over a week has passed and things are looking a trillion times better now. All new growth looks picture-perfect and no more spots. Hooray!
Looks like there are going to be a LOT of peppers this year!

Took 3 treatments.

Back