food Now it's puree time!!! Love the fall harvests.

Decided to can some salsa today to help keep warm over the winter. 

First, a lot of pealing and chopping. 5 quarts of tomatoes, 6 cups of onion, poblano, anaheims green pepper and garlic. 

20130929_125704.jpg

Paper lantern Habs, and ghost peppers to kick up the heat in some of the jars. 
20130929_130328.jpg

All in the pot with some spices and enough lemon juice and vinegar to get the pH down to a pretty acidic 3.3. I could probably have used a little less, but better safe than sorry. Boiled it for 30 minutes or so. I also let it reduce a little, but not too much. 

20130929_131128.jpg

After canning and water bath processing for 15 minutes, here is the result of everything we didn't eat already. 

20130929_152800.jpg

As it breaks down, the medium didn't have any more additional peppers added in. Just poblano and anaheim. The hot has the habs in it and maybe a 1/2 a bhut jolokia in those 5 jars. The nuclear has the habs as well as the rest of the 1-1/2 ghost peppers. The one scorp in the above post wasn't used. A little taste testing says it is plenty hot with out the scorp. 

In the next week or two I'll do the mild. It will be a tomtillo salsa. 

Today it is Scorpion puree day .

Start off with about 150 peppers. 

This is 120 that I pulled off of one plant (the hydro one) My other two plants only had 15 each for a total of 150 give or take. 
20131006_135007.jpg

Cooked, blended, run through a strainer to catch any remaining seeds and now cooking down. 
20131006_150245.jpg

Apparently 150 scorpions is about what it takes to fill 12 jars. Just lucky. 
20131006_151409.jpg

15 minutes in a hot water bath and a couple hours to let them cool enough to touch. 

20131006_171036.jpg

At almost 13 peppers per jar, that works out to be about 1/2 a pod per tsp. Tasting it confirms that it is really damn hot. I just licked the spoon once I had everything in jars and my mouth was burning for a while. 

Final pH was 3.4. 

NorwegianChili said:
Whats your estimated shelf life in the fridge on both ? No conserving additives ?

Certainly a year or two. It is shelf stable with a pretty low pH. both the salt and vinegar will preserve it. I didn't mention it because I thought everyone knew about AJ's recipe. 

Oh my goodness that is hot stuff. I've been using it a little at a time to heat up dipping sauces and chili. A little goes a long long long way. I have no doubt that this stuff is pushing the one million scovie mark. It certainly blasts past the Mega Death sauce in the fridge. 

Very nice scorpion flavor so thumbs up to AJ for the recipe, but Hooooooooooooot. Those 12 jars are going to last a while. 

Back