• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum NUMEX Jalapeno Series - Yes or No

Are these worth valuable real estate in the garden?

• Total voters

Downriver

Extreme Member
I bought seeds last year, but decided not to plant them because of the mixed reviews/opinions of them. I'm planning my 2021 grow and I'd like to know your thoughts about these guys. I have all three - Lemon, Orange and Pumpkin. Help me get off the fence, one way or another.

Thanks

DownRiver said:
I bought seeds last year, but decided not to plant them because of the mixed reviews/opinions of them. I'm planning my 2021 grow and I'd like to know your thoughts about these guys. I have all three - Lemon, Orange and Pumpkin. Help me get off the fence, one way or another.

Thanks
I'd say "GO FOR IT", then I have another grower to compare mine to. I grew them last year but didn't include vendor info on my plant tags. The lemon seemed to grow pretty similar phenos across all the plants. Some people were saying the lemon variety had no heat, but mine were about standard jalapeno level heat. The orange phenos were all over the place with some ending up being a standard jalapeno. The orange ones have the heat of a very hot jalapeno. They actually made for some good Cowboy Candy and I still have a ferment going with them for sauce.

I say worth it.  I grew lemon and orange last year and I'm growing them again this year.  I don't give them space in the main garden but I grow them in containers on the walk out patio.  The have a small habit that is perfect for containers.  I liked the orange heat and lemon was mild.  I've got seeds for the pumpkin but have never grown it out.

I wanted to grow them as well this season (and past seasons) as I'm really curious about them, but it always turns out that their place is used up by something else. Maybe next year

If you decide to grow them I will certainly follow their evolution!

Well, it looks like they deserve a seat at the table. I'll pencil them in for 2021.

I appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts and opinions. It was certainly helpful. :clap:

mlh5953 said:
I grew all three last season, and they were definitely worth the space in the garden.
They had excellent taste and respectable heat.
I plan to grow them again in the future, especially the lemon spice.

NuMexLemonJalapeno_1024x1024.jpg

biosamenartikelbilderteil2(1).jpg

02f4a764595840298be062584f76ac5c.jpg

_

I remember slicing up the first one of the season. The slices were from the tip end. Gave a piece to my brother and another guy. We were all like OMG that damn thing is hot. I had some pretty hot zapotecs but these took jalas to another level. Ive had a few mutant Early that got that hot but it was very rare. A couple years ago i had one Early plant that struggled but the few pods i got were all brutal.

Now ive learned before loading up a plate of nachos with jala slices you better taste each pod first. Really hot jalas cramp me bad for some reason. Sometimes worse that hotter peppers.

SMDS is spot on, the Orange Spice was SMOKIN Hot! My Plants stayed on the Small side, Short & STOCKY, Some of this likely due to my HARD sided Black 5 Gallon containers? That said, My plants were LOADED Down with Pods. I ended up with a lot of Odd shaped Pods? But all in all they did very good for me, and were fun to Grow, Of the 3 Varieties the Pumpkin Spice by FAR did the Best for me. 

I got some "instant pho" the other day from Costco. Just for giggles i added 4 small dried Orange Spice rings to the basically heatless pho and microwaved it as directed. It just blows me away how hot they are for a jalapeno. That pho was about as hot as most of the hottest instant ramens ive tried.

Thx to the Wisdom of my daughter who stole my lemon spice seeds in 2020 and grew them,they soon became a family favourite and now my brother,cousin and next year myself will put them on my list.
Also thx to advice from Skullbiker and PaulG I'll be growing Orange spice to.🙂

Back