• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NuMex Trick-or-Treat

Next year i will grow Numex Suave Red and Orange. They are very much like a hot habanero when you make powder of them, but i dont like them fresh.

Anyone grew "NuMex Trick-or-Treat"  ?  I wonder how much they taste like a hab and if they are any good.

I tried, but my seedlings got decimated by aphids, spider mites and/or damping off. I will try again next season.

midwestchilehead said:
I tried, but my seedlings got decimated by aphids, spider mites and/or damping off. I will try again next season.
Do you maybe have some seeds for a trade? Its almost impossible to get them in europe because the chilepepper insitute wanst an import permit.

I have plenty of seeds for a trade.

Update:  i successfully grew these in 2017.  Plants seemed to show signs of some annuum ancestry.  Just in terms of structure, smallish leaves, etc.  But the blossoms came off with multiple flowers per node.  One of my plants had ridiculously large numbers of flowers per node, but most of them dropped and i got maybe 2 or 3 pods per node.  The same plant also had a bunch of those Siamese Twin-style flowers, most of which dropped before they formed pods or shortly after forming pods.

All of my Trick or Treat plants were pretty danged productive, despite a lat start.  They did produce pretty late, though.  Might not have gotten so many pods if not for a really late first frost. 

These things look just like Orange Habs.  They were maybe a tiny bit paler than the typical Orange Hab, sorta pastel-ish, but the pods were shaped like the average Hab, maybe a bit bigger than average, but not crazy big or anything.  I got to the point where, if i had pt both regular Habs and Trick-or-Treats mixed up in the same bag/basket, i could distinguish the Trick-or-Treats reliably just by looking at them.... but i don´t think I could eloquently describe the visual cues.  I mean, beyond that they tended to be on the big and pale side, but some of my Habs were big and pale, too....  

Flavorwise, when you cut the T-or-T open, it smells like a Hab.  When you eat it, the chinense taste is right up front and, throughout the season, i´d sort of reflexively brace myself for the heat to kick in.... but it doesn´t.  CPI says ¨zero heat,¨ but i could detect a tiny bit of capsaicin in there.... near-zero heat, sure, but there´s enough in there to offend my stepmom, or babies, probably.  The flavor seems sweeter, as in more fructose or whatever, but i honestly cannot tell if it was just b/c there is less cap in the profile.  I mean, it definitely tasted more sugary-sweet than most other zero/low-heat peppers, so there is that.  I thought the Trick-or-Treats taste very nice, and very much like a homegrown Orange Hab, which is a flavor i like.  I realize that it is currently en vogue to deny appreciation for Orange Habs, so some folks might dislike the T-or-T for the Habbishness, but i think they rock.  I snacked on most of them.  I diced some up raw and added them to salads. I put them on pizza, in eggs, and really used´m like i´d use any other chile.  

I suspect the best use for these would be to put a real Hab in with half a dozen Trick-or-Treats and play, like, Russian Roulette during social gatherings.  You culdn´t due that with Habanadas or most of the low-heat landrace seasoning peppers, b/c the phenos look so different.  But the Trick-or-Treat really does look like a Hab.

Back