misc Nutritional Values

Jumping off of ChefEx's comments in the co-packer thread....More silly questions...

How does one determine the ingredients list and nutritional values.

I'm guessing the ingredients are listed - sorted by weight? Then for nutrition??? CAn I just compute based on the ingredients?

Is this something that can be done my little old me?

There are basically two ways to go. Figuring an average with the ingredients is NOT one of them. First off, you can contact the FDA directly, they will do it, but it's EXPENSIVE. The other way, which we did, was our co-packer has food scientists, and they did it for us. If you're not using a co-packer, you may want to ask one if they could do a test for the values. They might, but you'd have a better chance if they were packing the stuff for you.

Huvason,

I've found a nut.val company (afltexas.com) They can do an analysis type evaluation. I have not proceded yet because I'm waiting to see if it's apart of my co-packers deal. Here's what I got:

Thank you for your interest in AFL. I was curious to know how many different products you needed to have nutritional values for. If more than one, please inform me if they have similar ingredients. If so, this will help drop the price down. Please keep in mind if we find there is Trans Fat in your product the price of Trans analysis will be added. Thanks again for your timeā€¦..

Nutritional Values (label): $150.00 per sample

Each similar label: $50.00

Fatty Acid Profile (Trans Fat): $175.00

They base the analysis on your formula so it need to be tight.

Back