Odd coloration

This is the second set of pods grown on this plant, both sets seems to have this odd black coloration to them.

IMG_8336_zpsc5fbee57.jpg

Does this remind anyone of something, a disease, or just normal thing. Not all the pods show this coloration.

IMG_8333_zps3f04a356.jpg

Those look like corno di toro, amiright? They look beautiful sir and yes Jamison hit the nail on the head, simply a case of sunburn. Tomatoes do this too, a trait that gives the OSU Blue varieties their...blue/purple color. It's just a natural accumulation of anthocyanin to help protect against the sun. All natural sun screen if you will.

it's just suntan - like the melanin in your skin (unless you're albino). The anthocyanins protect the plant from sunburn (whitish tan areas of dead tissue).

filmost said:
Those look like corno di toro, amiright? They look beautiful sir and yes Jamison hit the nail on the head, simply a case of sunburn. Tomatoes do this too, a trait that gives the OSU Blue varieties their...blue/purple color. It's just a natural accumulation of anthocyanin to help protect against the sun. All natural sun screen if you will.

I actually don't know what they are. My wife got the seedling from the nursery and I wrongly tossed the tag when I started it growing...

They have 0 heat, and are rather sweet. The first pods that came out were about 4-5 inches long, and these are more like 8-9 inches long. I'm guessing it's mostly because the plant is more mature now.

They turn Red once ripe.

Back