• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Odd Question: Can I hickory smoke ground chile powder?

2 things here-

1- I don't understand all the liquid smoke hate in general.  I know that not all liquid smoke processors are equal, but I don't see anything in this process from this company that seems out of whack.   
2- Not all liquid smokes are created equal.  Quote from their website "Colgin Natural Liquid Smoke contains: Water, Natural Smoke Flavor, Vinegar, Molasses, Caramel Color and Salt."  If that liquid smoke is used in a sauce, it should have those sub-ingredients called out. What I use is straight from the condenser liquid, no other ingredients.       

I forget what company it is (write or wright , I think) but they say their liquid smoke is ONLY condensed from real wood of whatever flavor.

I basically never use it because I don't need it.
I smoke a lot of stuff.
Rubs and Marinades are for getting a product ready to smoke.

IF I had a reason to take a short cut that wouldn't allow me to actually smoke stuff I'd use it.

I haven't needed it since I smoke my stuff.

I can see someone adding it to whatever to get the taste and aroma.
Quick addition to ground beef for chile or?

I have no hate for Liquid smoke,just no use for it so far.

I know several people who use the real condensed stuff for a mop on cheese , in dips etc.

I don't get why people will put their meat in a smoker with marginal controls over temps etc, and light wood on fire and let it smolder with all those carcinogens ect getting all up in the grill...(or smoker, as the case may be...) but diss on condensed smoke that has been in a much more controlled environment.

Seems like liquid smoke is one of those items that some people just get all up against but I don't understand why.  Like xanthan, natural gums, vinegar, cilantro, not eating salsa (made in Washington) because they disagree with the political structure and actions of the Mexican government...(true story).... :shrug:

Liquid smoke will be appreciated more when the earth becomes inhabitable and the human species is relocated to another planet. Stock up if you want BBQ flavor in outer space. :high: Crazy right?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I put my money on liquid smoke being made in China and it is lead :) Enjoy  :high:
Colgins-made in USA , Dallas Texas since 1869-   Not China.....anything else against liquid smoke?

I'm bummed I don't enjoy the other kind of smoke..... :high: ...but as long as y'all do~  it's all good~

The best way to smoke chili powder is to rub it on meat and smoke it. I'd not go for Hickory though, fruit woods are generally better. Hickory tends to overpower.

Powder is better to keep natural. I only made a small batch of smoked powder. If something is smoked, and you want to use it on something like meat to smoke or on something that doesn't combine with smoke flavor.. you're screwed as it's a powerful taste.

The best way to smoke chili powder is to rub it on meat and smoke it. I'd not go for Hickory though, fruit woods are generally better. Hickory tends to overpower.

Powder is better to keep natural. I only made a small batch of smoked powder. If something is smoked, and you want to use it on something like meat to smoke or on something that doesn't combine with smoke flavor.. you're screwed as it's a powerful taste.

Ya. It was a customer request. I keep my 9 Circles of Hell Chile Powder pure. The flavor is perfect. I just was seeing ways I could accommodate. I think I'll just mix his ounce with some smoked powder I have around from friends. I was trying to keep the blend pure.

Back