Oddball seedlings 2016

What variety are these? Also, watch how the tricots grow, because the one tricot I ever had stayed a tricot for it's entire life. What that means is that instead of growing branches in two, then four, then eight, it went three, then nine, then twenty seven. Huge branch density compared to its dicot twin. Apparently that's not normal for tricots to do.

How does that relate to fruit production? More branches bearing the same fruit each or less fruit overall due to all the energy going into branches?

There was a thread on here from maybe 2012 talking about dicot vs tricot vs quadcot and it seemed to that the more cots there were the longer it took the plant to produce peppers because the plant was so focused on making more plant.

Also it seems to me that it's not directly heritable. Eg is probably not a dominate gene and so saving seeds may or may not get you there. Lovepepper has a 5cot plant this year.

spicefreak said:
How does that relate to fruit production? More branches bearing the same fruit each or less fruit overall due to all the energy going into branches?
I didn't notice any difference from the dicot one except that the fruits were unusually large. It wasn't grown in the best conditions though, so both of them might have produced enough to see a difference had they been outside.

jsschrstrcks said:
There was a thread on here from maybe 2012 talking about dicot vs tricot vs quadcot and it seemed to that the more cots there were the longer it took the plant to produce peppers because the plant was so focused on making more plant.

Also it seems to me that it's not directly heritable. Eg is probably not a dominate gene and so saving seeds may or may not get you there. Lovepepper has a 5cot plant this year.

The theory that they make more plant was mine, but it apparently doesn't happen to all tricots. My trinidad perfume was the only example I could find.

Seems like an interesting avenue to explore then and, if there is a possibility of more or larger fruit, the benefits could be great in the long run.

I'll probably cull anything that isn't of normal shapes and cots. Just found it odd that so many of the habanero laranjada grande had tri cots. 

My reapers had a lot of tricots last year.  And while they did have 3 branches, they were way slower.  My normal one out produced it by far.

D3monic said:
I'll probably cull anything that isn't of normal shapes and cots. Just found it odd that so many of the habanero laranjada grande had tri cots. 
Keep them. In most cases there won't be any difference, and they'll get started faster.

cruzzfish said:
Keep them. In most cases there won't be any difference, and they'll get started faster.
Thats what I was saying earlier, they actually take longer. Once established. Once its six feet tall, it might produce more. but in general for people that don't live in florida and can't grow year around, its better to cull because it dialates the window for fruit production (Eg it takes longer) and most people don't have heated poly tunnels in their back yard to fend off winters advances.

jsschrstrcks said:
Thats what I was saying earlier, they actually take longer. Once established. Once its six feet tall, it might produce more. but in general for people that don't live in florida and can't grow year around, its better to cull because it dialates the window for fruit production (Eg it takes longer) and most people don't have heated poly tunnels in their back yard to fend off winters advances.
That's only sometimes though. Most cases don't have any difference between a tricot and a dicot. I'd only cull it if it's taking noticeably longer than average.

2 of my six reaper sprouts have 3 x cotys. We shall see what happens wiith them over time.

No frost here so lets see.

jsschrstrcks said:

Ken, your right.
I grew 3 aji cito plants, 2 regular, 1 a mutant. The mutant was a much heavier producer for me than the regulars.
Maybe some mutants don't grow right. I'm not sure with others.
I didn't want to bombarded this thread with pictures of my mutant plant life. But here is a link of my updated thread with pictures.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53220-aji-cito-45-cotyledon-seedling-mutant-pictures/?p=1260889#entry1260889
D3monic said:
I had many reapers have tri cots last year, but the first set of leaves are 2.
IMHO, with my experience, with the 4+ cots you get 2 sets of of leaves ,so four and four and so on.

t0mato said:
I found my first tricot ever this morning on a 7 pot primo that sprouted up during the night.

it should be quicker at getting its first set of leaves, more photosynthesis.
So Primos /Reapers carry this trait in there genetics. Makes me think a little?

Back