• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Oddball strain from South Africa

The pods in these pics are a strain from the Limpopo area of South Africa, which is also home of the Peppadew. Locals call them "klokkies".,(Afrikaans and Dutch language are mutually understandable, the word "klokkies" means "little clocks" or "little bells", btw.)

These are said to be pretty damn hot, and allegedly C. Chinense, which would make them the fastest germinators in the C. Chinense family ever (I got tons of seeds, plants grow easy under cfl/LED). 

Because of the strange shape of the pods I figured they may be Bishops crowns or something but some people told me that those are distinctly different....  

So, what could they be ?   Hmmm.

Thanks for your input ! 

148960_10151352917532948_905789345_n.jpg

268533_10151352917267948_1454033457_n.jpg

Where the stem meets the pod/calyx doesn't look Chinense.
There is an Annuum called Balloon pepper that can look similar but isn't hab. hot that has a similar look as the baccatum versions-bishops crown,orchid etc.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/balloon-hot-peppers.aspx

http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?pID=03007&c=36

Doesn't look Chinense at all to me.
Annuums have a similar calyx...

Rocotillo is / can look close in shape but has a different calyx.
Rocotillo has a more scotch bonnet shape though.
I see mostly 1 pod or 2 per node also.
Not Chinense...

I'd say those are bishop's crown, aka balloon pepper, aka Pimenta Cambuci, aka Christmas Bell, aka Peri Peri, and a few other names.

As for heat, they'vebeen rated up to 30,000 scoville depending on which source you go by.  Some even say 50,000.  To the average person that's pretty damn hot. 

Hey Sluggy, I grew a whole field of these last season and am growing this year. Massive producers. Grow to about 1,5 - 1,6 metres in height. Pods are unmistakable. Really awesome chillies that range probably 3,000 - 6,000 SHU. No chance they will be over 10,000 SHU. If they are grown with less water, pods are smaller and heat can be much hotter. But really fruity, juicy and lovely chillies. They do go by many names... Bishops Crowns, Hot Pixies, Balloon Peppers... many, many more. They are Capsicum Baccatum var pendulum. Probably one of the freakiest shapes in the world of chillies - nice one! Definitely not a Chinense and not a PeriPeri. But what these lack in heat, they make up in every other category for sure!

Buds for Baccatum are VERY distinctive.
Plant,without bud pics could be Annuum or Baccatum.
Gold specks in the buds =Baccatum.
White buds = Annuum.
Calyx and pods per node suggests other than Chinense.

Peppadew is supposed to be a Baccatum,but also vendors sell an Annuum as peppadew too.
A cherry pepper.
Peppadew is a processed pepper in general from what I can see.

PeriPeri said:
Hey Sluggy, I grew a whole field of these last season and am growing this year. Massive producers. Grow to about 1,5 - 1,6 metres in height. Pods are unmistakable. Really awesome chillies that range probably 3,000 - 6,000 SHU. No chance they will be over 10,000 SHU. If they are grown with less water, pods are smaller and heat can be much hotter. But really fruity, juicy and lovely chillies. They do go by many names... Bishops Crowns, Hot Pixies, Balloon Peppers... many, many more. They are Capsicum Baccatum var pendulum. Probably one of the freakiest shapes in the world of chillies - nice one! Definitely not a Chinense and not a PeriPeri. But what these lack in heat, they make up in every other category for sure!
Thanks for the input,all. 
The person who sent me the seeds is not a dyed in the wool chillihead or anything. Most likely, what she considers "very, very hot !" was maybe slightly above Jalapeno level. Hence the mixup.
Then quick germination rate was kind of an indication already that this strain is probably not Chinense.
The seeds pop super fast !  I got a couple under the lamps,and they grow well.
These would be nice even as a decorative pepper, but extra plus if the taste is good.
I'll be posting pics of the flowers as soon as they appear. 

@ Peri Peri : Spreek jy Afrikaans ? 
Baie dankie voor de inligting omtrent die rissies ! 

Interesting discussion on what this could be. Last year I grew Chapeau de Frade and Bishops Crown alongside Uba Tuba (seeds from New Mexico State University). I couldn't tell much difference between them, mabe the pod size varied a little.

So, maybe the experts like Smokemaster Mike can tell me if they're all one and the same.

I found they made a good chile for stuffing. Cut the tops off, remove seeds easily, then stuff them and bake them.

Sluggy said:
Thanks for the input,all. 
The person who sent me the seeds is not a dyed in the wool chillihead or anything. Most likely, what she considers "very, very hot !" was maybe slightly above Jalapeno level. Hence the mixup.
Then quick germination rate was kind of an indication already that this strain is probably not Chinense.
The seeds pop super fast !  I got a couple under the lamps,and they grow well.
These would be nice even as a decorative pepper, but extra plus if the taste is good.
I'll be posting pics of the flowers as soon as they appear. 

@ Peri Peri : Spreek jy Afrikaans ? 
Baie dankie voor de inligting omtrent die rissies ! 

Hi Sluggy, My Afrikaans is baie swak. Ek was geboorte en SA maar het in Duitseland gewoon... but I can understand Afrikaans due to being fluent in German. Those Bishops are really nice chillies - and super for stuffing!

KingChile said:
well bishop crowns have no heat to them he said these were really hot

They also thought it was c. chinese. It's clearly not, so they probably don't have much experience with peppers. Bishop crowns are hot to my girlfriend. Most people are not freaks like us King. These are great peppers though. I'm gonna try to cross em with the reaper.

Wow, those are some exotic looking pods ! Nice pics. 
I can't wait to eat a bunch of those. Unfortunately that'll have to wait a while...

Peri-peri : Afrikaans and Dutch language are VERY closely related, As are German and Dutch. 
Afrikaans would probably be easier to read than German but I'm pretty fluent in German as well.

Sluggy said:
Wow, those are some exotic looking pods ! Nice pics. 
I can't wait to eat a bunch of those. Unfortunately that'll have to wait a while...

Peri-peri : Afrikaans and Dutch language are VERY closely related, As are German and Dutch. 
Afrikaans would probably be easier to read than German but I'm pretty fluent in German as well.
I think they are definitely one of the funkiest looking chillies in the world of chillies. Great for sauces, salsas and for stuffing... I love to just eat them raw - yum!

The ones I have came from the USDA (1998) seed bank under the name of Chapeau de Frade also known as Ochid Pepper or Peri Peri most deffinitely a Baccatum,  but I would rate the heat more like 1,000 to 2,000 and far less when the seeds are removed.
My mom now 92 really likes them as she can't eat chiltepins or jalapenos any more unless the jalapeno was the Fooled Ya or one of the other very mild jalapenos.
Last summer was the first time I had grown it in several years, and the three plants were simply loaded and my mom and sister really liked them.
I have about 4- 1 gallon zip lockes in the freezer I use them when I just want some flavor and little or no heat. I plan to grow them again in 2014 but will have to look at them to make sure that they didn't cross with any of my super hots that were planted close to them.

If mine crossed it would be to a large red 7 pot pepper plants growing near by, so if they crossed the heat will be way up there maybe 7 or 8 on the scale of 1 to 10.
I think though they might not cross very easily with a C. chinense but that doesn't mean that they can't.
I'll find out next season when I grow them, I'll make sure I eat some of them first before I give any to my sister or mom as I don't want to ruin their day.
I wonder what they would look like crossed with a Moruga or a Primo.

Back