Office grow?

I have a 36" AND 24" light fixture above my desk just under a file cabinet that is built into the office furniture. Our handy man recently replaced a ballast and bulb that burned out so I know they can be changed as needed. The bulb of the smaller one says F17T8 and is 17 watts and the larger is 35 watts and is also a T8 If I picked up a better ballest and bulbs could I use the 36" side to get the plant to flower with a 6500k bulb and the smaller 24" side with 2700k bulb to induce fruit? I have a ton of
space in my office and I don't think the owner would mind at all.

Just not sure if it's a simple as buying a ballast and bulb for each side or if I would need to do something else. Both fixtures run off 1 cord that plugs in just under my desk. I figure I could put a timer on the plug and run them as long as I need to. The only problem is the light sits about 12" off the desk so I guess I would have to prune the plant to keep it from growing too tall.

Would that work?

I used to have an aloe plant in my cubicle 14 years ago and it thrived under regular office lighting. As a matter of fact, I left the thing behind at my parents' house when I moved out in 1996 and she put it in a large pot and now the thing is on the floor in her sun room and it looks more like an octopus! It's HUGE.

I have no idea if a pepper plant could thrive under office lighting or how to do that grow light thing...

I was researching this myself recently, and found for about any type florescent fixtures they make special "for plants and aquariums" that are supposed to have "a combination of phosphors which produce light rich in reds and blues" mostly in T8's but seen in others, I saw a T8 18" at walmart for like $5, and I think a 36" for around $8 i belive they were 500ish lumens and measured at 90k

i'm not a mad scientist with light, and i'm sure this is the cheap way to go, but, I bet it'd be more than what you need for basic plant lighting, and i don't think you need to worry about ballast or anything like that, you should be able to just switch the tubes

I belive peppers dont really respond to light color in respect to fruting, since they are tropical in nature.

They like a good mix of the two, I use an even mixture of 2700K and 6500K.

Full spectrum work best.

Full spectrum is white light, so most 6500K light will do. no need to mix.
Chiles do respond differently to different lights, but that's like a specific ratio of specific wavelengths, not the color of your bulb.

Unless it is a small plant, I doubt you will get much fruit with just a single fluro bulb. It does not supply many lumens.

Mike

Ok I took the smaller unit off of the overhead cabinet and it already has a ballast in it. The ballast is 120v 60hz and will take either 1 f25 t8 or 1 f17 t8. The other longer unit will probably also allow me to put in a slightly brighter light also, but will either of the 2 be good for plant growth? If not I would rather go ahead and just order a new ballast and bulb for both which is NOT an issue as the company will be billed and it won't cost me a penny. The handyman would even install the new ballast and bulbs so I won't have to worry about that either. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I would have to stick with T8 type of bulb because it's a T8 fixture? If so what would be the PERFECT T8 setup as far as how bright the bulb should be? I figure I can start the plant off under the smaller fixture with a 2700k light then move it over under the larger fixture that has a 6500k light, but not sure what minimum amount of lumens are needed for good growth.

Omri said:
I've had plants fruit under a single bulb.
So have I. Are you saying one can grow a crop of plants (crop being one or two Habs or Bhuts) under a single 40 watt bulb? If so, I really need to salute you and you need to publish your methods in every gardening forum on the web.

Mike

wordwiz said:
So have I. Are you saying one can grow a crop of plants (crop being one or two Habs or Bhuts) under a single 40 watt bulb? If so, I really need to salute you and you need to publish your methods in every gardening forum on the web.

Mike
If you're using a 40W bulb that's your fault, nobody's forcing you. also it is possible doing so with a 40W bulb, you just need the right one.

Omri said:
If you're using a 40W bulb that's your fault, nobody's forcing you.

I'm not. I'm using 105 watt CFLs, 150 watt HIDs and arrays of shop lights and 23 watt CFL bulbs. My plants get lots and lots of lumens!

Mike

aaaahhhhhh....roflmmfao...
I just realized every time omri gets in on a thred....it gets a little hotter in the room......

and I LOVE IT.....

seriously though, I'm really curious, b/c I've read a lot online and it seems this whole lighting thing is almost controversial, one site says this another says that, the ones that are selling lights always promote the expensive ones, but people on the threads always say you don't NEED that much (of course the expensive ones are optimal)....I'd really like it if a lot of people put their input on their personal experience with different kind of lights....sorry LGHT not to take over the thread, ...but I think it's enough on the same questions you had to help you out too....I'm just as curious as you are

Best lights are expensive, but it's not a necessity. for example in a florescent bulb you have many different wavelengths and not all are used by the plant, so one could use just the right wavelengths LEDs and save power and therefor money. it's a bit more complex than the "blue LEDs for X and red LEDs for Y" as some seem to think, but LEDs are a great alternative light source. in terms of luminous efficiency you'd probably better use some kind of HID bulbs, as they're just more effective. I did have better results with Cree lights, but you need to understand it's not just the fact you use Cree that makes everything better. you need to use enough of them. for example 100W of selected Cree light is better than the best 100W HID bulb you'll ever find.

http://chilebase.com/index.php/2008/03/22/light-plants-part-i-the-basics/
http://chilebase.com/index.php/2008/03/22/5/
http://chilebase.com/index.php/2008/03/22/light-plants-part-ii-hardcore-data/

Cheap floro lights are perfect for starting plants, but for any real production you'll eventually need more light

Here is my office growth...
I couldn´t use strong lights so went for cheap LED´s and then window light now that it´s getting close to summer here.
Here are some pictures of my discobox at work..
Chillies%20023.jpg

the once in the window in the background has just been repotted.
Chillies%20030.jpg

Older once
Chillies%20039.jpg

The oldest once in the middle, that was my "test" plant
Chillies%20038.jpg

No problem on requesting everyone input. I have a LOT to learn about lights and any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I can't add extra lights to my office as it is not allowed, but I can make do with the existing fixture and do with it as I please. I was watching a video yesterday that had a lot of info on light and showed exactly what type of spectrum different types of lights would put out. The end result was a combination of MH and HPS lights mainly because they put out a LOT of light in the full spectrum range. However other lights do put out light in all colors, but not as intense so you have to have say 3-4 lights.

My biggest problem is trying to find a HIGH lumen T8 ballast and bulb setup that I can install into my existing fixture. Seems like T8's just don't come in anything over 40 watts

Back