• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Official Bubblegum 7 Pot thread

GdNLANv.jpg

Hello fellow chile heads. 
I feel this post is fitting. this is something ive been working on since 2012/13 i cant hold it in anymore. 

Stung Tongue Peppers MORUGUM™ 

Thank you Jon Harper who is the “Father” of the original 7pot bubblegum variety. i have crossed his BG7 with the Moruga scorpion via plants from RFC in 2013 (technically a back cross as the original BG7 is moruga x yellow 7pot cross. The purpose for our refined cross is to create a large Moruga style with a "bleeding cap/hat". after 3 seasons its physically very uniform...the punnett square sequence was used for the "cap"/large leafy calyx while choosing bigger size and moruga style. its perfect for dried pods with a thick jerky like flesh, seems great for reconstitution? flavor is bubblegum with less potpouri floral zest than moruga but full tongue and roof mouth burn...good solid 10 minute burn moruga style...the sliver of pods i had was as hot as a moruga but more upfront and less of that floral taste. more smooth like flavor of the yellow 7pot with stinging needle burn.    

2013  bubblegum 7pot (BG7) x moruga scorpion (MS)
2014 BG7/MS f1 x BG7(backcross x1) 
2015 BG7/MS<xBG7 x BG7 (backcross x2)

Objective: maintain the bleeding "cap" style calyx. extra thick walls and overall size of the pods on tall 4ft tree like plants. focus on preserving the smooth creamy light floral notes of the yellow 7pot hidden within the BG7. maintaining the superhot status is a very important feature as well.  The MORUGUM has the best of all traits with the heat just a little below the moruga.  the double back cross BG7 helped maintain the bleeding calyx and the 2015 cross will be into the moruga to increase size more and raise shu. essentially creating a moruga w/ bleeding large calyx. adding wrinkles would be awesome and the moruga button could be a great refining project for someone. while i stabilize on my end someone else could start the wrinkles/button so that we can then cross the two. hmmmm  

This is a community breeding project. anyone else want to continue the heritage is welcome to contact me. i would love to let Jon Harper know of the MORUGUM as this wouldn't of been anything without his super cool BG7. 

thank you all for you time...hope someone finds this interesting. 
IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

SUPER THICK FLESH with dripping oils!!! (B vit. growing practices have helped)
IMG_3254.jpg

DanVan said:
Holy Heck...someone has been busy? those are beautiful!!! i want that brown bubblegum with the "beanie" top...sooo.cool

Thanks :) The brown with the beanie, all the pods have that, its pretty cool indeed.

This year i am growing Bubblegum 7 pod 'Large' -- From Pepperlover
(these were from her NEW FOR 2015, selection so I expected there to be some variation)

The 1 plant with pods already starting to ripen does not have the typical  large calyx and i'm calling that ('not' Bbg7) as that seems to be what other growers are doing when they are atypical:

Now these other plants are really neat and have huge calyx, and it even seems to elongate some of the pods as they try to push their way out:

and here is another plant with the Large thick calyx, but not elongated, the pods do seem pretty 'Large' already

What do you think ?

Is anyone else growing Judy's 'Large' Bubblegum 7 Pod this year ?

What have your results been?

Which Pheno is the correct 'Large'?
Is it the rounder 1 with the large Calyx, or the more elongated 1 with the very large calyx ?
I'm pretty sure they are all going to be  :hot:  but I'm curious as to which pod shape and size I'm supposed to be looking for ?
(I have limited space for overwintering, and will probably only save 1 of these plants)
i've still got 10+ seeds left of this generation that i never sowed because Judy is great and sends so many seeds  :D

This pepper and all it's variations are very interesting to me...
If anyone has any of the Yellow Bubblegum7 seeds to trade, I'd be interested in trying to grow that one as well ( I just got the chocolate :) and will be growing that next year also )

thanks for looking at my Pics, 

:cheers:

meatfreak said:
Some of the varieties I am growing this season.

20150818_140802_.jpg

I like the looks of that Yellow one to the far left. 

My first one is finally ripening. Does the calyx bleed later in ripening or does it happen early?

D3monic said:

My first one is finally ripening. Does the calyx bleed later in ripening or does it happen early?

The stem is last to bleed based on my plants. I've been getting bleeding on the cap about the same time as when the pods go red--so a little earlier than yours. From there I've gotten a little bit of travel up the stem but by then the pods are fully ripe and I picked them. Probably should push the limits to almost let it rot but that's been hard as you can imagine.

D3monic said:

My red BBG plant and 2 of my chocolate BBG plants all bleed after ripening, but I do have another chocolate BBG plant that bleeds before and during ripening.

ZN3CiYt.jpg

Back