• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 Cauterizer

Product Name: Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 Cauterizer

Style: Carribean-Asian Fusion

Manufacturer: Heartbreaking Dawns

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Trinidad Scorpion Peppers, Cider Vinegar, Apricot Preserves, Water, Blueberries, Carrots, Honey, Onion, Soy Sauce, Sea Salt, Garlic, Ginger, White Pepper

Label/Packaging: Another stellar label from Heartbreaking Dawns. Rumor has it that Johnny has a friend who is a tatoo artist design his labels for him. This is very artistic and maybe a little gory. That doesn't bother me. What would you expect for a sauce named Cauterizer?

Appearance/Aroma: This sauce is scary looking. There are thick bits of pepper flesh all over the place. The sauce itself is a deep dark red color. Turning it upside down and then righting it again the flesh sliding down the sides reminds me of blood clots. Opening the sauce the aroma is of intense fresh peppers. There is a hit of cider vinegar, and a slight sweet smell from the fruits, but the star is definitely the Scorpion.

Body of Review:
I have been fortunate enough to review several of Heartbreaking Dawns' sauces. This particular one was bred from consumer input. They loved the 1498, but wanted it hotter. Well let me tell you I am glad they did. In order for me to properly review this sauce I have had to experiment with it and try to channel my inner Johnny. If you don't know Johnny McLaughlin, the owner of Heartbreaking Dawns and contestant on the Food Network's Chopped, he is a master of using his sauces in a gourmet way. To honor that I have done the same for this review. More on that later.

The sauce itself, besides the great aroma and consistency, has a very complex taste. The combination of the Scorpion with the sweetness of the blueberries and apricots, accentuated by the Asian overtones of the soy sauce, ginger, and garlic makes this a truly gourmet sauce. The only thing my palate questions is the use of cider vinegar rather than rice wine vinegar, but that is splitting hairs. This sauce is begging to be a finishing sauce for grilled foods.

As scary as Cauterizer looks and smells, it is surprisingly pleasant in the heat department. Don't get me wrong, I am not doing shots of it, but the heat is ideal for letting you taste the nuances of the sauce. It gives you a little pang on the tip of your tongue as you first taste it, little pinches on the sides of your tongue, and a lingering burn on the back of your tongue and throat. As you eat it a sweat may form on the back of your head, but you WILL go back for more. Okay enough of this, let's eat!

Heat Level: 7.5

Applications: This is why I LOVE being a reviewer. This sauce absolutely ROCKS on food. I love it on steak, roast beef sandwiches, chicken, in soup, and mixed with BBQ sauce for chicken nuggets or wings. Extremely versatile.

Appearance Score: 5
Aroma Score: 5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 4.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4.5

Overall Score: 4.7

Notes: Another home run from Heartbreaking Dawns. The aroma, appearance and versatility of this sauce is off the charts. The heat is good, as are mouthfeel, consistency, and flavor. Well done as usual Johnny. If you guys have not tried HBD's sauces yet, you are missing the boat. Get some!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 103
GREAT REVIEW JAYT!! Sounds like an awesome sauce once again from Heartbreakin Dawn arsenal. The flavors really got me intrigued, definately going on the wish list! Great job :)
Aaron

Jay-
Stellar timing here, just ordered a bottle a few days ago....Johnny you need a cauterizer version of the Choc Hab sauce!A 1492 with kick, or Choc /Brown 7's -sorry thinking out loud.
Jay you sick puppy ..blood clots? hahahha-my first thought upon handling the 1498 however long ago, so either you are as sick as me, or visa versa.Maybe we should go with Great minds think alike.....

Thanks for the review Jay! We've been sending out quite a bit of Cauterizer lately and the response has all been positive. Some people might expect a little more heat because it's a Scorpion Sauce, but that's not what HBD is about. I'm trying to use superhots in a way that allows the flavor of the pepper to shine amongst background of other ingredients while still maintaining a satisfying heat level. I'm confident we've done that with our latest releases including the Cauterizer. Thanks Again!

Thanks for the review Jay! We've been sending out quite a bit of Cauterizer lately and the response has all been positive. Some people might expect a little more heat because it's a Scorpion Sauce, but that's not what HBD is about. I'm trying to use superhots in a way that allows the flavor of the pepper to shine amongst background of other ingredients while still maintaining a satisfying heat level. I'm confident we've done that with our latest releases including the Cauterizer. Thanks Again!

And this is why you rock! I am going to need a few more bottles when I see you at Peppers. Just sayin'.

This is hands down one of my favorite sauces your review is spot on and tells the tale of this amazing sauce

I really like this sauce - it's a bit too hot for my tastes for an every day table sauce, but I use it when I want to give myself a little scare on my tacos. 
;)

This is one of my faves as well. Same company: Reaper Sauce, similar notes (blueberry for one) not such a fan of that one. Too sweet and has this odd cat piss smell, but doesn't taste like it.

Back