• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Heartbreaking Dawns 1841 Ghost Pepper Sauce

Product Name: Heartbreaking Dawns 1841 Ghost Pepper Sauce

Style: Caribbean

Manufacturer: Heartbreaking Dawns

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Pears, Applesauce, Cider Vinegar, Bhut Jolokia, Water, Onion, Carrot, Lime Juice, Sea Salt, Garlic, White Pepper.

Label/Packaging: Another bizarre, yet eye-catching label from HBD. The print is very bold, the picture a bit gory, and the story on the side which explains the reason for the sauce is great.

Appearance/Aroma: The sauce is a wonderful color, very bright orange. The consistency looks a little thin, but there are lots of bits of pepper and fruit floating throughout. Upon opening the lid, the aroma is intoxicating. It smells sweet, and the unmistakable smell of the bhuts is very prominent. I hope this sauce is as good as it looks and smells.

Body of Review:
When I first met Johnny of Heartbreaking Dawns here on THP, he was interested in making a wing sauce for a competition. It was apple and pear based just as this one is. How far you have come Johnny! This sauce is the second in a trilogy of sauces HBD is making and 1841 lives up to the standard set by the 1498 Trinidad Scorpion Sauce I have had previously. The taste starts out a little sweet and very fruity both from the pears and apples, as well as the bhuts. There is a tang to it brought about by the cider vinegar and lime juice. The sauce is well balanced. The heat doesn't take long to show up in this one either. Unlike the 1498, this sauce has only one pepper; the Bhut Jolokia, a.k.a. the Ghost Pepper. It is all that is needed, and you definitely know it is there! The heat is not overpowering, rather building as you keep eating it. Now, what to try it on...
Heat Level: 8

Applications: I couldn't wait to try it so I put it on the first thing I made, pork fried rice. I think it lends itself well to Asian cuisine with its flavor profile. I also tried it on wings, and while I love the flavor, the texture is just not quite right for wings. I think it will work well as a pouring sauce, condiment, marinade etc.

Appearance Score: 4.5
Aroma Score: 5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 4.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4.5

Overall Score: 4.6

Notes: I love this sauce, the flavor is great, the heat is great, the smell is great. The only complaint I have is that it is just a bit runny. It is a little thicker than the 1498, but not exactly a smooth consistency. Overall though, another home run in my book Johnny.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    288.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.png
    2.png
    746.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 90
Well done JayT. I just tried my first HBD sauces (Golden and 1498) last week and they were wonderful, looks like I have give this one a try too.

Way to go Johnny and Nicole

Glad to read your review JayT. I am a fan of the 1498 and just ordered the 1841. Can't wait till it gets here and try it out! Thanks for the reviews you do for us folks on THP.

Keep the great sauces coming Johnny & Nicole!

I think John and Nicole should just send me their new products automatically....and I'll pay them as we go.

ALL of their products are TOP SHELF!!! :dance:

I think I am on that plan already Paul! I have not had a bad sauce from them yet, 1841 is just the latest of a bunch of great products. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Those who have tried it should rate with the flames.

Man I am going to save up for a trip to the US to try all these great sauces, so jealous right now.

Hey Aussie friend,

Our products will be available in Australia in a week or so. I will post in "promotion" once our products arrive and are available there....save you a few thousand bucks on airfare! haha

Thank you all for all the kind words, we work really hard and put a lot of time into our sauce and it really means a lot to us when we get such wonderful feedback :)

xo Nicole

Hey Aussie friend,

Our products will be available in Australia in a week or so. I will post in "promotion" once our products arrive and are available there....save you a few thousand bucks on airfare! haha

Thank you all for all the kind words, we work really hard and put a lot of time into our sauce and it really means a lot to us when we get such wonderful feedback :)

xo Nicole

super cool I love trying new stuff

I got this in the mail a few days ago, and it is absolutely my new favorite sauce, supplanting a number of other brands which I've been using religiously for years. The flavor is fruity and delicious while the heat is immediately apparent but not overpowering. The pear and apple complement the bhut beautifully.

I feel like this would go well on almost anything (and it certainly tastes great by the spoonful). I even used it as the solitary condiment on burgers last night and they were delicious.

Needless to say, my next order is going to be for more than just one bottle.

Back