• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Green Label

Product Name: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Green Label

Style: Fire roasted mild sauce

Manufacturer: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Distilled Vinegar, Onions, Roasted Chile Peppers (jalepeno and serrano) Roasted Garlic, Water, Carrots, Chile Peppers, Sugar, Sea Salt, Lime Juice from Concentrate, Cayenne Pepper.

Label/Packaging: The new label is much catchier than the previous one. The shiny stock really makes it stand out. Very nice.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance is pretty good. The sauce has lots of bits of pepper, and spices are apparent. The color is a little dull, but that is typical of a jalapeno sauce. The first thing I notice about the aroma is the vinegar. The smell is very pleasant. I love the smell of fire roasted chiles and vegetables. This sauce smells a lot like salsa. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

This is the new and improved formula of Lucky Dog's mild sauce. I enjoyed the orange sauce, but had some suggestions for it. Let's see if this latest version makes me feel lucky to have it, or if the sauce is a dog...

Body of Review:
Having already enjoyed this sauce before (well, the previous version), I pretty much knew what to expect. I mean how different can it be? These days it seems everyone is all about the superhots and sauces pushing the envelope with heat. I am a real fan of serranos and sauces that use them so this is right up my alley. Lucky Dog Hot Sauce is really not about heat. It is all about flavor. If you haven't had a fire roasted sauce before you have to try this. Roasting the peppers is an extra step that adds complexity, smokiness, and overall good taste to the sauce. When you first taste this sauce that is exactly what jumps out at you. Complexity and YUM! The vinegar just gives it a twang to accent the flavors of the peppers and onions. I don't notice the carrot, but I am guessing it adds the little sweetness I detect. This is very well balanced. It is the kind of sauce I could just sit and eat by the bottle right on tortilla chips. As I said before, it reminds me of the flavors you get in a good cooked salsa. As for heat, there is not much. As I said it's a mild sauce, but surprisingly, at the end you get a little tickle of heat. It is fleeting, but it has just enough to let you know it's there. This brings me to consistency. If you recall, this is the area that I took issue with when I reviewed LDHS' orange sauce. I got little hard bits of seeds and skins that were unpleasant to say the least. Well, I am happy to say that this has been corrected and that the sauce now is very smooth, and has a very nice pourability. Now, how to use it.

Heat Level: 2

Applications: This, just like the other sauces in the line, is very versatile. I like it with Mexican food, on a chicken sandwich, on hot dogs and burgers, and in soup. You can pretty much use this sauce with anything.

Appearance Score: 4
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 4.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 5

Overall Score: 4.5

Notes: With the consistency issue fixed, I think this is a wonderful mild sauce with great versatility. Fire roasting gives it a complexity and great flavor. The heat is mild but this will appeal to the masses. Great sauce!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 73
Again Jay, great review.
I don't always comment on your reviews, but having this sauce myself, I can relate more easily to what you say. The great thing about LDHS is it's flavor impact on everything you put in on. Great smoky flavor.
This sauce goes great on everything, I just ate it with a Breakfast sandwich, for example. Pizza, Hamburgers, Chicken, Chicken, Chicken. I'll have to try the Hot Dog thing, but what doesn't go great on HotDogs, huh Jay?

Great Sauce.

Great Review.

Back