• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Lucky Dog Orange

Product Name: Lucky Dog Orange

Style: Fire roasted pepper, vinegar-based.

Manufacturer: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Country of Origin: USA

Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucky-Dog-Hot-Sauce/189634837748271?ref=ts&sk=wall

Ingredients: Vinegar, Assorted Fire Roasted Hot Peppers, Hot Peppers, Roasted Garlic, Onions, Carrots, Salt, Sugar, Assorted Dried Hot Peppers & Lime.

Label/Packaging: The current label is a homemade one. Lucky Dog tells me he is working on professional labels (shown). This sauce is not commercial at this point.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance of this sauce is slightly thick and chunky. Specks of skins, seeds, black pepper, and spices are visible. The first thing I notice with the aroma is the vinegar. Then the smokiness comes through. It smells like a vegetable garden on a grill. I like it.

Body of Review:
I do not get asked to review too many sauces that are not commercial (yet). This is the kind of sauce that many of us make in our kitchens and share with our friends. The difference is that this sauce is pretty refined for being just a step above amateur. The taste is a whole montage of flavors. From the vinegar, to the garlic, to the roasted vegetables, to the peppers. They all meld together very well. The consistency is good. It is thick, but pourable. When I smelled it I expected it to be runny. It is not. I think the time and care it takes to roast all the vegetables and peppers is worth it. The heat is kind of funny. It is right there immediately on the tip of the tongue, then it resurfaces on the sides and back of the tongue and throat. It is not an intense heat by any means, but it is enough to make you sweat. I would love to know what "assorted" peppers are used here. I am thinking maybe some Thai and some habanero? This sauce is very versatile, here's how I used it.
Heat Level: 5.5

Applications: This sauce is great on chicken, pizza, Mexican food such as the quesadilla I made, sandwiches, etc.

Appearance Score: 4
Aroma Score: 4
Taste Score: 4
Mouthfeel Score: 3.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4

Overall Score: 3.9

Notes: I think this is a good sauce. It has a good taste, heat, appearance, and versatility. It is a little lacking for me in one area, the consistency. I got hard bits of skins and seeds when eating it by itself. Eating on food makes it better, but I think it could be cooked longer to soften everything.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 69
Solid feedback, thanks! Food for thought (so to speak) during my test batches. For one I've already thinned out both recipes based on prior feedback (including the mfgr) and I think with no loss of balance or flavor.

The consistency should (active word, should) be better with the mfgr since he has a true piece of grinding equipment & can crush up those seeds/flakes where I can't.

One small correction - the black bits are charred fresh pepper skin. No black pepper in my sauce.
:D

The assorted dried peppers will have to remain a trade secret for now. :dance:

Really appreciate the review JayT - If you're up for it, I'll send you more "mature" production sauces from the test batches when that happens.
:cheers:

PS - people can follow the progress here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucky-Dog-Hot-Sauce/189634837748271

This sounds really good. I've been very interested in tasting Lucky Dog sauces for a while. Maybe we can trade up for some goodies? Whadaya think Lucky?

Great review (as usual) Jay!

Nice review JT. I have had it also. I like it a lot not overwhelmingly hot but just enough for some tingling. I love it on my scrambled eggs. Think I might just go make some and have it now..... :)

That is awesome! Congrats man. Are you shipping to any brick and mortar stores? There is an awesome hot sauce store in Wilmington, NC that I visit every summer. If you can get some in there by June, I will be sure to pick some up! :) The place is called 'Fire and Spice'. Super nice guy in there, and he seems to like buying hard to find sauces from up and coming sauce makers.

That is awesome! Congrats man. Are you shipping to any brick and mortar stores? There is an awesome hot sauce store in Wilmington, NC that I visit every summer. If you can get some in there by June, I will be sure to pick some up! :) The place is called 'Fire and Spice'. Super nice guy in there, and he seems to like buying hard to find sauces from up and coming sauce makers.

I've got a local distributor, but will also have a web site for direct sales. I'm not sure how much shipping to B&M's I'll be doing just yet - my distributor covers much of Northern CA, so we're starting there. Obviously I'd love to be a national presence, but walk before run and all.
;)

That said you'll be able to get it on-line, but I appreciate the tip and will absolutely look into that in a couple weeks when I can legally start selling - the state needs to inspect the product, and the lab results all have to be completed and submitted prior to sales. It sucks, but that's how the game is played so that's what I have to do. The upside is that I don't have to haul back 6 pallets of sauce tomorrow and unload it to a storage unit like I thought I was going to - instead my distributor goes and picks it up at the mfgr when the product is released for sale and I'm off to the races. Website should be up & running by then too.

Great review Jay! MMMmmmmm Natchoossss;

That's really great news LD! You'll soon be living the dream that many of us sauce maker / hobbiests have. I know it's one of mine. We should start a lessons learned the hard way in The Food Business thread. I bet there would be some great insight there as well as some really funny tales.

Wishing you great success in your endevor,
RM

Hey thanks RocketMan - check the bottling topic to see where it is now. Jay will likely be re-reviewing the production batches I just made which I'm launching as soon as 1. they're cleared by the state and 2. as soon as the website is up.

The food thread has MANY posts of my adventure, mostly of lessons learned (check the 5 page labels "done" thread for a perfect example...lol)

Back