• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Lucky Dog Orange

Product Name: Lucky Dog Orange

Style: Fire roasted hot sauce.

Manufacturer: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Vinegar, Assorted Fire Roasted Hot Peppers, Hot Peppers, Roasted Garlic, Onions, Carrots, Salt, Sugar, Assorted Dried Hot Peppers & Lime.

Label/Packaging: The label is straight forward with a logo of a bloodhound and a horseshoe. Nothing fancy or special, but I’ve learned that far too many sauces are all label and no substance.

Appearance/Aroma: As soon as you look at the bottle you can see nice dark red pieces of fire roasted peppers on a thick orangish red sauce with dark specs.

Body of Review:
I jumped at a chance to review a sauce that included fire roasted peppers. I often prefer roasting and smoking my peppers for sauces as it gives them a unique taste and flavor profile. This gives a sauce made with the same exact ingredients and peppers a nice little twang. The sauce comes with a bottled date of 1-3-12 so doing the review a month and a half later has given the sauce some time to mature a bit.

Once I opened the sauce I noticed it was very thick. In fact, a few taps on the bottom of the bottle didnt convince the sauce to poor freely so I enlisted the assistance of a chop stick to get some air into the bottle. I got a nice teaspoon full and realized the sauce is pretty thick compared to most other sauces. Once I managed to get some on the spoon, I could see all those nice chunks of pepper and some smoky charred bits of goodness up close. Its almost as thick as a smooth salsa. The aroma was amazing. It gave off nice zesty smoky overtones followed by a sharp spicy vinegar flavor. I engulfed the spoonful and got a nice sharp smoky draw with a med-hot pepper spice on the tail end. The sauce was a bit sharp initially, but I then picked up a bit of garlic and seasoning as the lingering heat slowly dissipated allowing the other flavors to come forth. Not a bad first taste, but the vinegar and lime seemed a bit sharp and direct when tasting the sauce only. I followed up the spoonful with a dab on a butter cracker and the flavors where a bit more balanced and not as sharp as the first spoonful. Nice soothing burn with a great lightly smoky taste with a hint of spice and sweetness. The heat level is not too aggressive and has a good mellowing linger. Scott did mention the sauce has a flavor profile that would allow it to be paired with a wide variety of foods, so I wasn't expecting to be floored with heat.

I decided to pair the sauce with a lightly seasoned grilled chicken thigh. The sauce listed meat, eggs, pizza, and pretty much anything as its uses so I thought something grilled would go great with this roasted sauce. I grilled up a couple of thighs and allowed them to rest for a few minutes before I poured a generous amount of sauce on and cut a slice. The fire roasted flavors really complemented the grilled chicken and the two went hand in hand. The heat level was a lot more balanced now that it was being consumed on something with a bit more substance. The previous sharp, zesty, smoky flavor was not as dominant and the sauce really helped the grilled accents beautifully. You can really enjoy the taste of garlic, spices, and onions. My advice if you're eating this with some meat, let the sauce flavor the meat and only flavor it with a hint of salt and pepper before cooking. The only drawback seemed to come from the slight lime taste that gave it a bit of lingering bitterness, that wasnt necessarily a bad flavor, but it was a bit of the odd man out in comparison to the other flavors in the sauce. A tiny bit of sweetness really helped the roasted peppers open up and allowed the heat to slowly increase bite after bite. The heat level isnt a slap you in the face type of heat, which allows this sauce to be used on a lot more foods. Because the sauce is a bit on the thicker side, less is more, and I really didnt need to cover the meat end to end.

The sauce is in its beginning stages, but you can purchase them now by contacting Scott directly.
Heat Level: 6.5

Applications: Meat, eggs, pizza, sandwiches, and pretty much anything you can think of.

Appearance Score: 4
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 4
Mouthfeel Score: 4
Heat Accuracy Score: 4.5

Overall Score: 4.2

Notes: Great overall smoky sauce with medium to hot levels of heat. Slight lingering bitterness that detracts a little from the finishing, but all in all, a great well rounded sauce that I enjoyed.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg