• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Zoltons Hot Moroccan Sauce

Product Name: Zoltons Hot Moroccan Sauce

Style: Moroccan

Manufacturer: Zoltons Sauces

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Honey, Rice Wine Vinegar, Ketchup, Lime Juice, Habanero Peppers, Ginger, Cilantro, Spices.

Label/Packaging: The image on the label appears to be that of a genie. Pretty catchy design and graphics. My only issue is that the background color makes it a little difficult to read the name of the sauce.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance is that of a peppery syrup. It is a little thicker and stickier than most sauces. The consistency looks good though. The aroma is very captivating. I mean it is really nice. I want this now! It is very aromatic. I smell the sweetness, the tang of the vinegar and lime juice, the ginger, and the spices.

I always love trying Moroccan-inspired sauces.  Will this one measure up?

Body of Review:
First taste, it is very savory.  It is both sweet and tangy at the same time.  Very sweet first, then the tang of the vinegar.  Then the spice and heat of the ginger and habs.  I am trying to identify the spices in there.  I think maybe clove and cinnamon.  It has a real yin and yang quality about it with the sweet and sour thing going on.  I am immediately sure what this will be great on as far as food, but I will get to that in a bit.

The heat is there in the background.  It builds a little as you eat it.  A nice warmth envelopes my mouth, but it is by no means unpleasant.  I think for a non-chilehead the HOT written on the label is appropriate, but I would rate this between mild and medium for my palate.  As I continue to eat, it is just enough to make me sweat a tiny bit.  That is always a good thing.

As far as texture, it is sweet sticky goodness, very smooth, with the exception of the occasional seed or bits of spices.  I do hate the seeds, but I can overlook it as this will be eaten on food.  Now onto the food...

Heat Level: 4

Applications: MEATBALLS! That is what hit me immediately, and it is fantastic on them. Also would be good on wings, ribs, chicken breast, pork loin, etc. Hell, I bet it would be good in ramen.

Appearance Score: 4.5
Aroma Score: 5
Taste Score: 4.5
Mouthfeel Score: 4
Heat Accuracy Score: 4

Overall Score: 4.4

Notes: Even though this is probably a specialty sauce, the taste makes it versatile enough for many foods. My only knocks are the seeds, and maybe a different font or color for the name of the sauce, since they use the same label for both sauces with just the name changed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Jay. Sounds like you enjoyed it.  

FYI This sauce is a limited run and is available only by special order from Zoltons, and will not be seen on the website. 

Yeah, I can read it just fine. I like it too.

Sounds tasty. Looks like a good glaze.

Back