• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Offspring from different size pods from the same plant

See my grog for picture examples: My Aji Russian Yellow plant is producing 2 different sized pods. If I grow plants form saved seed from one of the larger pods, (assuming it did not cross with anything else in my garden) is it more likely that the plant will produce more larger pods than smaller ones, or will the result be completely random?

It will probably be the same. Pod size varies within a variety. It could also be an environmental factor. However, it doesn't hurt to try!

So far, I have mixed the seeds, but I may try separating some for the experiment. I would care more if one size had more flavor than the other or was hotter, but from the 5 or 6 that I have eaten, I don't see a difference. It is a weird plant with some pods growing upright and others facing downward. I didn't pick the pods, so I am not sure if the larger or smaller ones were the downward ones.

I hope to get a lot more pods from this plant. So far there has been larger heat variance between the pods than I normally experience with pods from the same plant.

Yup, they will vary in heat and many other characteristics. My habanero mustards grow both pendant and erect. What sort of pepper are you growing?

I don't think there is any way the size of fruit can be passed on in this case. They are all coming from the same DNA so self pollinated flowers will create the same pool of offspring regardless of the pod size they produce.

I don't think there is any way the size of fruit can be passed on in this case
Well, I wouldn't say it's likely, but in a theoretical sense there could be some epigenetic shenanigans going on.

And yes, I have a high school level knowledge of biology and access to Wikipedia, so I'm an expert on this sort of thing. ;)

Its phenotypic plasticity, the probability that it's epigenetics, or a transposable element or some other weirdo non-Mendelian genetic thing is extremely small. They just like to teach about those things cause they are rescent findings in genetics. But when I hear the sound of hooves I think horse, cause I'll be correct more often than if I think Angola Mountain Zebra :)

the pods that i get in the winter time are smaller than in the summer, flavor and heat are about the same just the size.

when I hear the sound of hooves I think horse
I tend to think "Englishmen banging coconuts together", but that's probably because there's a lot of Monty Python played around here.

Also, like I said, theoretical and not a purely serious suggestion. I just can't let "I don't think there is any way" go without commenting =]

I don't think there is any way the size of fruit can be passed on in this case. They are all coming from the same DNA so self pollinated flowers will create the same pool of offspring regardless of the pod size they produce.

I think the chances are that it's environmental. However, how did our ancestors select larger fruit size in chiles and other fruit? And how did Butch T. select a smaller pod from the original TS?

It's more likely the seed from the larger pods is viable, all else equal / grown simultaneously. Fungal infection or poor stem development or (wind/etc) damage and other stresses can stunt growth and retard maturity even if it eventually turns ripe... BUT, you'll usually see deformed or miscolored seed if this is relevant.

Yup, they will vary in heat and many other characteristics. My habanero mustards grow both pendant and erect. What sort of pepper are you growing?

The peppers in question are from an "AJI Russian Yellow".

I posted the question, as this is my 5th season growing Chile Peppers, and all other plants have grown pods that were the same size.

Here is a pic more than 1 month old, that shows the pods growing in both directions:

photo-1.jpg

It's more likely the seed from the larger pods is viable, all else equal / grown simultaneously. Fungal infection or poor stem development or (wind/etc) damage and other stresses can stunt growth and retard maturity even if it eventually turns ripe... BUT, you'll usually see deformed or miscolored seed if this is relevant.

The seeds from the smaller pods look exactly the same as the larger ones and the peppers do not appear to be unhealthy.

I think the chances are that it's environmental. However, how did our ancestors select larger fruit size in chiles and other fruit? And how did Butch T. select a smaller pod from the original TS?

These traits were selected for in individual plants not individual pods. You can't grow a single plant and select the best shaped pods and expect that to be heritable, it's not. The differant pod shapes of a single plant come from random effects during the development of that pod.

If your goal was to select for some trait you would need to grow out a bunch of individuals and select for individuals that display those traits.

Finaly, if it was a mutation event you would expect all the tissue generated from the point of mutation to share that mutation, so you would expect some sort of localization or mosaicism. I don't see that, it just looks a bit random to me.

The upright position of fruit is controlled by the recessive gene up-1. All true Aji Russian Yellow have two copies of this gene, however just because a plant has the gene for upright fruit doesn't mean that every stem will be strong enough to support the fruit at full size.

The upright position of fruit is controlled by the recessive gene up-1. All true Aji Russian Yellow have two copies of this gene, however just because a plant has the gene for upright fruit doesn't mean that every stem will be strong enough to support the fruit at full size.

Interesting info - Where did you get this information.

There's a chance that plant is chimeric, check to see if the different pods are split between 2 specific areas, which could explain the phenomena.

Interesting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28genetics%29

I'll be at the family garden the week of the 27th and will check it out.

There's a chance that plant is chimeric, check to see if the different pods are split between 2 specific areas, which could explain the phenomena.

Thats what this means:
Finaly, if it was a mutation event you would expect all the tissue generated from the point of mutation to share that mutation, so you would expect some sort of localization or mosaicism. I don't see that, it just looks a bit random to me.

Interesting info - Where did you get this information.

Google search capsicum genes it's a paper published in 2006 authors are Wang and Bosland

I'm not buying that. It's possible to have different genes on the same plant.
These traits were selected for in individual plants not individual pods. You can't grow a single plant and select the best shaped pods and expect that to be heritable, it's not. The differant pod shapes of a single plant come from random effects during the development of that pod.

If your goal was to select for some trait you would need to grow out a bunch of individuals and select for individuals that display those traits.

Hmm, I didn't know this. I've read The Genes of Capsicum. I don't recall it mentioning this.

Thats what this means:
Yes I know but you can't really see anything from those picture it's best if he just looks at the plant himself and try to find a pattern that may give us an idea. Of course it could just be environmental effects that caused some genes to be on/off.

I don't see any patterns. So far, all of the small pods matured early. All of the pods on the plant now are the larger ones.

Back