• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Oh no! not good?

Two of my plants are under attack or something.

The first plant has some kinda cracked leaves and what appears to be a burnt leaf or something. I also spotted this little fly-looking thing hanging around. ( "git off!" :shakes fist: )

Eaten looking leaf:
IMG_0347.jpg

Burnt or nibbled looking leaf:
IMG_0352.jpg

Cracked looking leaf:
IMG_0357.jpg

The second plant had some dried looking crap with a grub hiding underneath:
IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

I picked (and squashed!) two little bugs and the grub off. One bug was green and one was black. Unfortunately I didn't think to get photos of the bugs (I just wanted them off!).

Any ideas? (aphids!?)

FadeToBlack said:
After all you cant save them all lol

Are we talking about saving leaves or plants? I currently have only three (four if you count a shoot) plants! Hahah

I'm gonna squish anything that comes near them :mad: ... except for bees and ladybugs (they're the good guys right?)

:welcome:

HAHA! I was talking about the leaves :rofl:
The only real pest ive had so far have been aphids, which I take care of with mild soapy water.
I imagine it should do the trick with most other small annoying insects.

Ladybugs are your friends :)

FadeToBlack said:
I don't think thats an aphid, could be wrong though.
The ones I have to deal with are much smaller.

To put it into perspective though, it's only a baby plant (about 15cm tall)... so the leaves are still small. It was very small - barely visible and looked like a speck of something.

klorentz said:
That is indeed an aphid.Since it is white it could be a shed.Yes aphids do shed their skin as they grow.

Which brings me to the next question... what's the best way to deal with them?

So far I have only found the three of them and squished them good. Afterward I went over my plants thoroughly to make sure there was no more hiding and found no more (doesn't mean anything, I know!). But if, say, the aphids came with the plant (I bought it from a nursery), does that mean that with any luck, or is there chance, I might not see any more?

I spray my plants with mild soap solution.
Whenever I see aphids on my plants there tend to be groups, ive never seen like 1 or 2 here and there.

IMG_1381.jpg

This is usually how they look when i find them on my leaves

I find the little bastards to be quite annoying. I have to go out and check roughtly 40 plants daily.
Most of them are aphid free but some of them I have to spray off to keep them under control.

a light soap solution will help as FTB indicated. But you may also consider Diatomaceous earth. This is harmless to you your pets and the environment.And it is all natural and is made of fossilized diatoms which will be like glass to soft body insects. And the little bugger get cut to bits.

Kevin

Uh oh, danger danger, that is a definite aphid sighting there. You must act quickly to destroy these, either call in an air strike, send in the ground forces or just nuke the whole area. Translation - Buy ladybugs, or Start smashing them with or fingers, or start bring in the neem, or other chemical method.

The other leaves I wouldn't worry too much about, a cut, hole, eh, not really a big deal.

My experience with aphids has always been that if you find 1 or 2 you will find more down the road. They tend to hide on the bottom of the leaves, but they can also hide in the new growth and around the buds. There is a good chance that they came from the nursery plant, but they are also found in many other places. Check them daily because they can reproduce at a crazy pace.

You can use a mild soap solution, chemical pesticides, ladybugs, parasitic wasps, neem oil, simply spraying the plants with water, or a home remedy. If you choose to go with anything other than the ladybugs and wasps, be sure to spray the tops and bottoms of your leaves. Then be sure to rinse the plants off an hour or so later. I've found that leaving the solution on the plants has caused brown rust looking spots on the leaves wherever it pooled. Also do not leave the plants in direct sunlight after you spray them. They will get burn spots from the droplets.

Blister said:
My experience with aphids has always been that if you find 1 or 2 you will find more down the road. They tend to hide on the bottom of the leaves, but they can also hide in the new growth and around the buds.

Indeed I found two more not long ago..! hiding in new growth!

Blister said:
You can use a mild soap solution, chemical pesticides, ladybugs, parasitic wasps, neem oil, simply spraying the plants with water, or a home remedy.

This mild soap solution people are suggesting, how do I go about that? I want to avoid chemical pesticides at all costs!

Cheers!

I've never really had much luck with the soap solution, but I'm not going to discourage you from trying it.

A few things, make sure that it's not an Anti-bacterial dish soap. I've heard that it can be bad for plants. Also make sure to rinse off your plants about an hour or so after you apply the spray. Don't spray them in the sun or leave them in direct sunlight after you spray them. Let them dry up in the shade before moving them back out. Make sure you get the entire plant. You need to get the soap solution on the aphids for it to be effective.

Good luck and remember to keep checking your plants for aphids in the future. They are a common problem for many people, especially once they've found their way onto your plants in the first place.

Hmmm, what about Neem oil, is it an oil from a tree is it? Do you know if it is effective or not, Blister? I'm thinking as long as I find a non-toxic one, it might be a better option.

Damn aphids!

Back