• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

oil spray problem....

This was mentioned in my bacteria and mycos thread, figured it needed its own thread.... I have tried two different organic sprays for aphids and mites and both cause problems.... one has to be mixed and I havent used it in awhile
20130814_120727.jpg

The new one is a mix of I oils and is mixed, just shake and spray
20130814_120707.jpg

I sprayed this one last night before sundown, around 6 pm with a lot of cloud cover.
This morning was like any other morning after spraying....
20130815_071100.jpg

20130815_071113.jpg

20130815_071120.jpg

This is some of the spray still present and pooled on a leaf....
20130815_071318.jpg

Not every plant shows damage, it seems to be the ones that need sprayed show the damage more readily....
Maybe I'm spraying too much? I spray until u see the oil covering everything.... last week when I sprayed, my basil and strawberries weren't affected, today the basil is showing something similar to the browning on some leaves....

It isn't the oil. I sprayed my plants with a Bayer product that was almost pure canola oil and there were no issues. I think the problem might be when the oil was applied. The damage you have looks like sunburn which could happen if the oil was wet and the sun was shining.

I sprayed mine at dusk FWIW.

BTW, it worked well and killed everything that I was trying to kill (mostly mites).

Ive sprayed around 8 pm with similar results. Unless the cloud cover broke yesterday before sundown and I didnt catch it, something else is going on.
My aphids on the peppers are the bigger green ones that don't require ant intervention to move and ive been catching them move in before the ants find them on the plants. Not sure where they're coming from, found a few even this morning back on one of the undamaged plants....

rhm3769 said:
Ive sprayed around 8 pm with similar results. Unless the cloud cover broke yesterday before sundown and I didnt catch it, something else is going on.

Interesting. From what the horticulture people tell me, hte oil doesn't do anything other than suffocate the insects and mites so it shouldn't do any damage to the plant. there was at least one other member here that has had similar damage and they said something on a thread I started about oil insecticides.

For the record, this is the product I used. 96% canola oil.

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects-pests/products/natria-multi-insect-control

Back