smokers Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Charcoal/Gas Combo

Apologies for my absence, everybody! Crazy busy here

Seems to have been a lot of confusion in here, hahaha
Ashen understood what I was looking for:
Ashen said:
I think he is interested in the charcoal direct grilling side of things. which is why I suggested a mod he could use in the smoker.
^ That’s it, in a nutshell. I want a charcoal grill; wife wants propane. Trying to pick my battles, so I was looking for a compromise that wouldn’t break the bank.

-Yes, this model is basically just 2 small grills (one charcoal, one gas), bolted to each other. Doesn’t bother me at all

-I’m not looking for a lot of real estate here; just enough to cook a half dozen burgers and some hot dogs at once.

-Yeah, I throw big parties and cook for a lot of people, but they’re usually not coming here for the burgers, lol. They want the smoked meat that’s coming off the tank ;)

-My main goal would not have been to use this as an offset smoker, but for direct charcoal grilling. It has a gas side too, which should appease my wife. The fact that it has a firebox on the side so that it could be used as a smoker was just a bonus. Might even be able to get it to work “halfway decently” after a few mods (RTV, gasket, etc.), but wasn’t my main goal

-I don’t “need” a new smoker at this point, but I think my mind’s made up and I’ll be getting a 22” WSM when a good opportunity presents itself (been scouring Craigslist and FB Marketplace lately; thanks Walchit!)

And after all that ( :rofl: ), I had an epiphany last night, and I think I might be scrapping this whole grill “combo” idea altogether...
It’s not that a unit like this wouldn’t fit the needs of what I’m looking for (because it does!), but we’ve been putting money away for a while to re-do the deck in the back of my house, which is where I’d want the grill. Problem is, we’re going with Trex (composite/“plastic”) decking. If I’m using charcoal, and I drop a briquette (or a small piece falls out of the chimney starter) onto a new 20’ length piece of decking (at $3-4 per LINEAR ft. :shocked: ), I’m gonna blow a freakin’ gasket. That’s not a blemish I can just sand it paint back to new. That’ll be there forever, no matter how small (or visible to the naked eye), and it’ll eat away at me, just knowing it’s there. As much as I trust myself not to let it happen, and as careful and meticulous I am about a lot of shit, at the end of the day, “shit happens” sometimes.

Now I’m thinking I should just get a gas grill for the deck, and worry (or don’t, lol) about getting a separate small charcoal grill for the patio (adjacent to the deck) at a later time...

Sorry if I wasted anybody’s time! :cheers:

Ashen, that hotel pan idea isn’t sounding too bad for the time being ;) :rofl:

Sorry I was so dense. You have posted killer meat and that smoker before and I was answering as if you needed your first smoker, I was actually like, what??? He posted all that stuff off the gas grill??? :lol:

OK OK the new info helps a lot! Before you even talked about the new deck I was going to say, dude, get a nice new stainless steel gas grill (those black steel ones are hard to keep rust free with the gas elements covering the bottom and all)... AND a Weber KETTLE. No not a WSM, a kettle. That's all you need man and it is the classic backyard griller, they cook perfectly. They were made for burgers. Get the 18 or 22 (the upper model with the ash can), whatever works, and wheel it over to the side of the house or in the garage until you grill. Done!

The Hot Pepper said:
...get a nice new stainless steel gas grill ... AND a Weber KETTLE. No not a WSM, a kettle. That's all you need man and it is the classic backyard griller, they cook perfectly.
^ THAT’S probably gonna be the plan :lol:

EVENTUALLY, a 22” WSM will replace my whiskey barrel ;)

Everybody on the same page now?! :shocked: :seeya:

Holy shit... :lol:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MikeUSMC said:
You dont even know who I am anyway!!! :rolleyes: :lol:

First smoker :rofl:

;)
kJuzLRr.png

https://youtu.be/_kJdnFCNgVY

The Hot Pepper said:
"I can burn it like daddy does" :rofl:
Is that a reference aboot Phillip Riddick from Daddy Cooks and RBOP fame ,eh[emoji848][emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, I have your solution, and I've done a handful of trex decks, so I know your gonna need to save some money lol.

Find an older weber genesis, get new burners, flavorizer bars, and grates if it needs them, and you will get some major years out of it. And it should fire up really easy and your wife may actually use it. Then, get a used kettle. You can scrape all the porcelain parts on both grills with a razor and get them back to damn near new. Then, instead of a wsm, get a cajun bandit stacker, or some kind of stacker, which will basically make your kettle into a wsm.
P.s. dont get that combo grill

Walchit said:
Look, I have your solution, and I've done a handful of trex decks, so I know your gonna need to save some money lol.

Find an older weber genesis, get new burners, flavorizer bars, and grates if it needs them, and you will get some major years out of it. And it should fire up really easy and your wife may actually use it. Then, get a used kettle. You can scrape all the porcelain parts on both grills with a razor and get them back to damn near new. Then, instead of a wsm, get a cajun bandit stacker, or some kind of stacker, which will basically make your kettle into a wsm.
P.s. dont get that combo grill

I approve of this message. I own a weber and I've put many pounds of charcoal thru mine. I had never heard of cajun bandit or a stacker. I had to Google your response, now I feel like I need a stacker and a rotisserie. Looks like I need to do some research.

stettoman said:
Whatever you ultimately acquire, I can't wait to hear about the experience. 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT FALL INTO THE TRAP OF A WEBER-ADDICT. I can't help but think of the neat, sporty, semi-functioning lawn tractors Andy could have had  if someone would have just done an intervention.... :shame:
My forest Gump mower is in the shop right now! And dont you dare try to intervene on Mike's weberitis!

Walchit said:
I'd definitely wait for them to get the kinks worked out. Well I mean I'm probably never gonna get one, but that's cause I dont like spending over 1000 on a grill lol
I hear ya, they look nice , but not cheap. The only ones I've seen are relatively small. I haven't seen any reviews on them. ( haven't looked for a review either)

Back