• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Old seed stock + grafting

hi all, Unfortunately I've been away from the forums as well as growing peppers for a couple years now. Family has taken priority over gardening and peppers..... But i've got the itch and I need to get back into it.

With a grow room empty for a couple years, I've unfortunately fallen out of the loop with all of you THP'ers.

The reason for this post is that I've recently attempted to start back up with no success from my seed stock. Its a shame that mountains of seeds have been wasted by sitting in a closet too long. I've started approx. 30 seeds with no success, most of which are 4 years old. This has got me asking for a little help.

I have a purpose in my next growing endeavor and am looking for some good seeds from a fellow THP'er. I want to do a grafting project with a few plants starting with C. Annuum as i think it would be the easiest. I'm looking for Jalapeno as a base plant, and several others to graft that look vastly different from a jalapeno. I am hoping to create a few frankenstein plants with long peppers, short peppers, and different colours all at the same time. Any Annuum will do as long as it doesn't look like jalapeno. (edible...not ornamental)

Also Hydroponically i would like to start up some harder to grow varieties and keep them in the grow room indefinately. I have attempted C. Pubescens seeds that were 5 years old without any takers. If anyone has Manzano or alike that they could share, please let me know.

A long time ago i was given a bag of something to help germinate old or difficult seeds. A white powder that ive never used, could anyone identify what and the mixture ratio to use it? It was fairly common, but i cannot search it without the name. Please post your best guess and I'll remember it when i see it Thanks.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance

Salicylic acid maybe? or something alike google that as starting point.

Anyways for the germinating seeds, last years I had 10y.o seeds and they germinated fairly well considering how old they were, was less than 35% but still... had like 30seeds to start with.

Try soak them for like a 10-24 hours prior to sowing them.

Gibberellic acid?

I've heard good things about soaking in kelp products but have not tried it.

I haven't got much and nothing it looks you're interested in but you're welcome to it. MOA Scotch Bonnet (not growing true it seems from other users) and a few non-iso strains the result of a Pepper Joe purchase. Chocolate Fatalii, some type of Morouga and a Douglah of sorts are my best guesses.

Thanks miguelovic, Gibberellic acid. I knew I'd know it when i saw it. I owe you one. I'll attempt a soak in acid solution.

Do you guys/gals think that sprouting times would increase because of the age? when should i give up on annuums or pubescens and start over?

welcome back.. i have a whole pile of fresh manzanos on my counter right now getting ready for a sauce in about an hour.. so i can send you some fresh seeds if your interested.

howardsnm1 said:
welcome back.. i have a whole pile of fresh manzanos on my counter right now getting ready for a sauce in about an hour.. so i can send you some fresh seeds if your interested.
I'll send a PM

I could never say no to fresh seeds. Especially since all of mine are getting old and stubborn. There isn't much i could offer in return except old stock of most things in my profiles strain list..... (Its large, and am happy to give away lots of what I have left.... its going to waste. ) I have jalapenos and explosive ember sprouting after 4 weeks or so now, so my faith in these old seeds is getting better. I was pretty bummed that i had wasted pounds of seeds. I could have just been impatient

EDIT: I couldn't PM you, im guessing full inbox

bushwhackxj said:
I'll send a PM

I could never say no to fresh seeds. Especially since all of mine are getting old and stubborn. There isn't much i could offer in return except old stock of most things in my profiles strain list..... (Its large, and am happy to give away lots of what I have left.... its going to waste. ) I have jalapenos and explosive ember sprouting after 4 weeks or so now, so my faith in these old seeds is getting better. I was pretty bummed that i had wasted pounds of seeds. I could have just been impatient

EDIT: I couldn't PM you, im guessing full inbox
yep it was i just cleaned it out try again...

update:

I have 2 jalapenos growing nicely as my grafting base... I've topped them to help branch out for this project. And yesterday a Manzano sprouted after more than 2 months. The other manzanos are a loss though... Im pretty sure they are just moldy

EDIT: I tried to post a pic to no avail. I've read the how to on the forum but it makes no sense... any help is appreciated thx.

"Mountains of seeds" but you've only tried to start thirty?  Four year old seeds in a closet aren't going to have a germination rate near what you expect, but they will have a non-zero rate.  Throw more seeds at it.

How are you germinating?  (I use the damp paper towel method.)

Back