• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Old seeds germination

Hey guys! Back from the dead. I hope. 

I'll post a glog soonish! I promise? I've been very busy this year. We got a community garden plot, then after a few months got the one next to it. 200 sqm total! Most of my time goes into that, but it also means more room for peppers. You'll see in the glog once I get around to making some nice pictures.

For now, I have a question for you. I have some seeds in my collection that are getting quite old, and they haven't always been stored well. So, I'm preparing a seed-saving grow next year. I'm selecting my oldest/rarest seeds to grow out. Some are over 4 years old, though. Others I just have a few seeds of. I want to make sure I have the highest chances to succeed.

There's a lot to read on the internet. Hard to weed out the BS. I guess I just respect the knowledge and abilities of you guys more than some rando. Weird how that works.

TL;DR
What do you guys do to improve your germination success? 

Edit: Jeez Louise, this was my 666th post. If that isn't an omen for something...

b3rnd said:

TL;DR
What do you guys do to improve your germination success? 

Pre-soak in a diluted seaweed solution.  Throw away any seeds that are still floating after 24 hours.

I got some seeds I saved from three different varieties of peppers from 2009/2010 and got some good germination rates out of them spring of this year. I didn't keep track of percentages but still the germination was strong enough and the plants are looking healthy now. I also started some Orange Habanero seeds from 2015 that did well too. I am dealing with Chinense and one Annuum  species here, I don't know how the viability rates over time would be for other species. Good luck with your grow out.

solid7 said:

Pre-soak in a diluted seaweed solution.  Throw away any seeds that are still floating after 24 hours.

By seaweed solution you mean liquid seaweed? As in seaweed fertilizer.

Pepper Tarheel said:
@b3rnd  You need one more post to get off the 666.... :P

This is it!

MBGardener said:
I got some seeds I saved from three different varieties of peppers from 2009/2010 and got some good germination rates out of them spring of this year. I didn't keep track of percentages but still the germination was strong enough and the plants are looking healthy now. I also started some Orange Habanero seeds from 2015 that did well too. I am dealing with Chinense and one Annuum  species here, I don't know how the viability rates over time would be for other species. Good luck with your grow out.

Thanks!

floricole said:
I use gibberellic acid
and seaweed as @solid7

@CaneDog did a post for Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) and Seed Germination 

I hope I can get that stuff here! Also, I can't believe I didn't find CaneDog's topic. I search for 'old seeds germination', but couldn't find a lot on the first page. Maybe I was just tired and I missed it.

Thanks for the answers everyone! I'll try your suggestions.

Back