Old wife's tale or fact ?

This year I have a grip of green pods, Ive been told that putting pods in a brown sack with a banana will ripen them well tonight I decided to test this out. I got 2 bags and 2 bananas then loaded one with Chocolate Bhuts and the other with the traditional red ones. So let's see what happens? Anyone ever do this ?

Browning said:
It works but they have to be so mature before it will work.  I do this every year with tomatoes.  They say an apple works as well.

By mature you mean full grown? I think so some are turning and they are big pods!

The gas they put off to ripen is ethylene 
By mature you mean full grown? I think so some are turning and they are big pods!

Ocho Cinco said:
I always leave mine on the kitchen table and they eventually ripen on their own.
Yep this works too.  The bag thing would speed up the process because you're trapping the ethylene gas
Spankyscolts said:

It works but they have to be so mature before it will work.  I do this every year with tomatoes.  They say an apple works as well.

The gas they put off to ripen is ethylene 

yes sir.  If they're starting to turn already yea then it will work on them

I tossed 100 green habs in a paper bag with an apple. After 4 days I already have 30 full on orange pods. Hoping they keep going at this rate.

Spankyscolts said:
WOW!! How long do I leave em ?
So far just just 4 days. I pop open the bag every two days and pull out the orange ones. I am going to roll with this until they stop ripening or they rot. Lol. I view these as bonus pods.

i have around 20 pounds or more left in legal size paper boxes with layers of bananas closed inside since last friday, i have pulled out about 6 pounds ripe already

we got hit with frost, i pulled all i could ripe or green

Robin
As long as the chemical process of ripening has started, even if not visibly, the ethylene gas released by the banana will promote the process which will in turn release more ethylene. If the chemical process of ripening has not begun they will remain green and then should be given to all the neighborhood trick-or-treaters.....or turned into a green sauce.......or diced up and discarded in you boss's office trash can........or smoked over a flavorful wood(try chestnut), sampled, dried, and powdered if the flavor is favorable.

Justaguy said:
Robin
As long as the chemical process of ripening has started, even if not visibly, the ethylene gas released by the banana will promote the process which will in turn release more ethylene. If the chemical process of ripening has not begun they will remain green and then should be given to all the neighborhood trick-or-treaters.....or turned into a green sauce.......or diced up and discarded in you boss's office trash can........or smoked over a flavorful wood(try chestnut), sampled, dried, and powdered if the flavor is favorable.
Lol thanks !!

Back