• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Older Leaves Yellowing - Looking for some advice

I have raised around 100 seedlings and just planted some into a new garden bed 2 weeks ago.  The older leaves were quite yellow when plants were transplanted while the newer growth is a nice dark green.  I thought it might have been a magnesium deficiency so a spread some epsom salts on the surface of the soil a week ago without seeing any improvement.

www.flickr.com/photos/95694111@N08/11093713725/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95694111@N08/11093928463/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95694111@N08/11093727795/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95694111@N08/11093733375/

I am confident it is not a watering issue as I have plants at the front of my house (ones in the images are at the back) which are doing very well and are getting the same treatment.  Whatever it is, it seems to be happening across the whole garden bed.

The soil is this garden is new and quite sterile I imagine which definitely won't be helping but I was wondering if this yellowing has a more specific cause?  Any advice would be most appreciated.

Excuse my finger in the last photo!

Possible nitrogen lock out. The large chunks of uncomposted bark/wood chips in your soil are a cause for concern. As they decompose, some nutrients will be locked out in the process. Can't say for certain but that's what it looks like to me. I used a wood chip mulch once and my plants ended up looking like yours.

Of course, there are other causes of lock out or it could just be plain old deficiency caused by underfeeding. What's the story on feeding?

Thanks for your response Gasificada. They have had one liquid feed at half strength about a week ago (after being in the ground for a week) and that is all.  Before that they were in a mix of 50% potting mix/50% orchid bark and got no fertilizers although the potting mix did have a little slow release fertilizer in it from the store.

I had to buy in soil for the raised bed and bought a couple of cubic meters of garden mix.  It is made up of compost, a general pumice sand for drainage and fine bark mulch (0-11 mm in size). When it was delivered it was literally steaming hot, I would guess it might have been 50 degrees C.  The bed is probably 25cm deep (filled with 100% garden mix before it hits a clay rich soil base.

Anyway, underfeeding is pretty likely although I would hope now they are in the soil with some new compost there should be a more available source of nutrients. 

I had a plant that looked indentical to that. The plant looked very healthy just it was the wrong colour. It got the exact some everything as my other plants. So I stuck it into the dirt and its now coming around. Mind you the old leaves which were yellow did not change colour but the new undergrowth is a brilliant green. The plant must have chocked up and just had to sort it self out. I wouldn't force feed the plant. At that size, if you used a good garden soil or added compost the plant should have everything it needs.

Hi Sarge, thanks for the advice. 

I have 18 plants in one bed that all look like that. I think what happened is the plants were in their little pots too long and exhausted the soil and got a little root bound and yellowed.  Then when they get transplanted there is just a bit of lag before they can take on any new nutrients from the soil.  I have decided to wait and watch another week before doing anything drastic. I did give an epsom salt spray this morning which is what I should have done last week instead of top dressing the soil.

I should also invest in a pH meter at some stage just to make sure it is within range as I am flying blind without that.

My ph meter shows difference across the whole bed. I did an epsom spray on mine. But ended up now with cal mag. If I give too much magnesium it could inhibit the update of calcium and the soil here really isn't optimal and the water is considered soft to medium.

Its hard to say the cause. Yes my plant was root bound but at the same time ive got two other plants in identical pots, 4x the size with pods everywhere and they are doing just fine. Sure they're not as big as they could be but im more than happy. Id say give it a little more time than a week. Do you have products like seasol? Its not a fertilizer so its always safe to use. Its a soil conditioner/tonic. I believe it helps quite alot. It will encourage the roots expand into the new medium.

My ph meter is an ebay delight. 4 bux. Reads the same results as litmus paper.

Thanks again Sarge for your help.  I looked for Calmag but it isn't readily available here.  I do have Dolomite lime but I think that still massively favors magnesium over calcium with respect to optimal ratios in soil.

I have seen Seasol here and will grab some next time I am at Bunnings.

I have tried ph strips for measuring my soil but it didn't change color.  I assumed it had absorbed too much moisture so I got some more with the same result.  Not sure how hydroscopic they are but I get them from a vet who is half an hour from my house so perhaps they are no good by the time they get home.  If your $4 meter works it sounds like that is what I should be getting.  I was looking at this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/measuring-scales/auction-667778646.htm

No idea if it is any good but it is in the country...

Don't be afraid to buy online.

This is the PH meter I use

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-in-1-PH-Tester-Soil-Water-Moisture-Light-Test-Meter-for-Garden-Plant-Flower-TR-/400584803678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d44b7055e

It seems accurate.

Dolomite lime is good but it will affect the PH of your soil. Have you tried blood bone? If I recall, that stuff has good calcium in it which will give the plants something to feed on. PH strips need moisture to absorb, Ive got 600 of them here, they seem to work but I do multiple tests to ensure an accuratish result.

Must be a hydroponic store over in NZ. Check on google. You could always try sending one from Aus. I don't think postage would be too much but I am positive you will find it locally. I'd almost put money on it being in any hydroponic store or decent nursery.

I haven't tried blood and bone. It sounds worth a crack.

I haven't seen much change since the foliage spray with epsom salts 2 days ago but I pretty happy they will come right.

I used half soil and half water for the pH test when I did it... I just think the strips were no good. I will buy some this week.

Lots of hydro stores in NZ. I should go into one at some stage and see what they have on offer.

Thanks again for your helpful advice Sarge.

I think it might be over-watering. There was some anecdotal evidence it wasn't but since this lot have been out, 3 weeks ago, it has rained a few times. Also in giving them some foliar espom salts I effectively had to water them again. Just checked the soil after 2 days with no rain and under 2" dry soil it is still fairly damp. In fact I am surprised how damp the soil has stayed as it was advertised as free draining mix. Previously I had dismissed over watering as my other plants in the ground were not showing any signs of distress but perhaps being larger they are better able to deal with a little extra moisture or are in a slightly freer draining mix.

Either way, assuming no rain, is it likely the yellow leaves will go green again and if so, how long might it take?

The growing season doesn't last forever and my yellow plants have shown little sign of growth over the last month so I needed to do something. I removed all 18 plants, half the soil from the garden bed and replaced it with a clay soil, mixed thoroughly. I have super hots growing out the front in a similar mix that are exploding so thought that the best option. It also allowed me to create another garden with the removed soil, again adjusted with the clay soil.

Drainage in the other beds has not proven to be a problem even with the clay but I guess time will tell.

Back