• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Oldest heirlooms

I was wondering if anyone knows which heirloom varieties date back the furthest. Any links would be helpful. I want to turn my garden into an ancient garden, using the oldest varieties I can find.

The Hinkle Hatz is a Pennsylvania Dutch Heirloom variety which is dated back to 150 years.... Thats all I can input. lol.

Well Datils are hundreds of years old, but the C. pubescens species can be traced back at least 8,000 years.
Other undomesticated species are much, much older.

Many region have their own landrace varieties. It all depends what species, varieties, and heat levels you are interested in

I remember reading somewhere that Bhuts have been grown in India for hundreds of years. Can't find the source right now sorry.

Certainly the oldest domesticated varieties are going to be centered in Central Mexico (annums), Northern Amazonia (chinense), and Bolivia/Peru (baccatum/pubescens). But I'm pretty sure that the consensus on domesticates is that there is no consensus.

I'd go for chiltepins.

Certainly the oldest domesticated varieties are going to be centered in Central Mexico (annums), Northern Amazonia (chinense), and Bolivia/Peru (baccatum/pubescens). But I'm pretty sure that the consensus on domesticates is that there is no consensus.

I'd go for chiltepins.

Chiltepins sounds good. I like growing peppers that have a lot of history that I can read about.

I will go for chiltepins/other small mexican annuums too( Even though one could say that tepins aren´t heirloom as they are pretty much a wild type)
But about the oldest RECORDED Heirloom I cannot say anything...
BR
Jan

Back