• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Oldest pod on the plant

What's the longest you've had a pod survive on a plant? I've had the same reaper pod on my overwinter since late September/early October. Please excuse the subpar photography and plant health. It was slightly neglected for a while.
IMG_20180305_211333.jpg

I once let a perfect looking pod sit on a plant about a month longer than I normally would. Wanted the seeds to mature...Cut the pod open and it was moldy. You might have the same thing here

Genetikx said:
I once let a perfect looking pod sit on a plant about a month longer than I normally would. Wanted the seeds to mature...Cut the pod open and it was moldy. You might have the same thing here
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised. I left a couple on the same plant for about a month after they were ripe. Left them out for a week after picking and cut into moldy pods. I'm definitely going to check when it comes off.

I had a similar thing going with a Jamaican Yellow Mushroom I over-wintered this year. My best recollection is that the pods showed up in October. The stayed green all winter long, and only just recently started to rippen.

I show some pictures, but I just cut it up and threw it on my pizza last night.

I'm still here, so I guess it wasn't too bad. :)

Genetikx said:
Same for me, left a few on my OW'S since people say you can let them dry on the plant... Maybe in the sun that would work, but not indoors. Every one of them were moldy when I cut them open.

The pod is kind of blackening around the calyx so I assume it probably is molded. At this point I'm just wondering how long it'll last. It's definitely not barely hanging, because I bump into it often when tending to my smaller OW plants.

I didn't expect the plant to make it through winter to be honest. Chopped most of the roots, hacked at the top growth, and threw it into a one gallon pot and almost forgot about it sitting in the glass door for months at a time.

Back