ommegang!

awesome! thats one of my favorite session type belgian beers. i drink it from the bottle, in a pint glass, or in a snifter. it doesnt matter how, its all good. try their witte beer if you can find it, and three philosophers. hennepin is another superb beer. ive only drank rare vos once or twice, so i dont remember too much of it. but the other beers are outstanding. in fact, i just finished off my last 2 ommegangs last night. time to go back to the store! at 8 bucks a 4 pack its just great stuff.

Question for ya, Ross....Have you ever tried a Samichlaus? I bought a bottle last january and have got it aging in a cabinet ever since. Is it really worth aging, or should i just say screw it and pound it down now?

Sickmont said:
Question for ya, Ross....Have you ever tried a Samichlaus? I bought a bottle last january and have got it aging in a cabinet ever since. Is it really worth aging, or should i just say screw it and pound it down now?

ive never had it. i HAVE 2 bottles of it, but i havent drank them. from what i understand it is a love it or hate it beer. i also heard that some bottles from the late 90s are fantastic right now. but that was also when it was brewed under a different brewer. i cant really answer the question you ask since i have never drank it. is there alot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle? if there is - then it will age. if there isnt, then drink it because its filtered. im actually going to check out my bottles when i get home and make an executive decision. maybe ill have one tonight :rolleyes:

ross said:
ive never had it. i HAVE 2 bottles of it, but i havent drank them. from what i understand it is a love it or hate it beer. i also heard that some bottles from the late 90s are fantastic right now. but that was also when it was brewed under a different brewer. i cant really answer the question you ask since i have never drank it. is there alot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle? if there is - then it will age. if there isnt, then drink it because its filtered. im actually going to check out my bottles when i get home and make an executive decision. maybe ill have one tonight :rolleyes:

Hmmm.....i'll have to go home after work and check mine as well for the sediment. I never paid much attention to it, to be quite honest. Maybe i'll use it to start off the weekend with a bang!

Sickmont said:
Hmmm.....i'll have to go home after work and check mine as well for the sediment. I never paid much attention to it, to be quite honest. Maybe i'll use it to start off the weekend with a bang!

haha. starting a night off with a 14% beer usually ends in disaster for me. ill have to take it easy! but its hennepin night tonight, so i may end up doing the samichlaus on memorial day

i have just recently discovered the deliciousness that is ommegang. i bought some of their three philosophers without noticing it said it was blended with a cherry lambic. so far i've only had one lambic..sam adams cherry lambic. i'm pretty sure it doesn't compare to others..but i really didn't care for it.

back to ommegang..so i noticed where it said the bit about cranberry lambic in tiny letters and said "doh!" to myself..but it turned out to be very good. so good, i bought a bottle of each of their beers..except the witte because they only had the larger corked bottles. i'll be picking up one of those as well one of these days though. i think so far the hennepin might be my favorite.

once my roommate gets back, we're off to two beer stores..one to get the world wide stout..possibly something else the second store doesn't have, and the other to get other beer and a cigar or two.

Hey guys I've had the Samiclaus. It is probably better aged but I have only had it right after buying it. It is thick and highly alcoholic..14% I think. I have 3 Thomas Hardy's I bought 18 years ago. Started as a 4 pack. I tried one after 10 years and it was okay but thought it needed more time. 'Bout time to crack open another to sample.

i liked the allagash white...hoegarrden i liked too..i guess i just had my hopes set pretty high, because i really liked the other ommegang beers. :D

Back