• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

on "corking" and a question about deemphisizing multiple planted plants

Peppers are totally new for me and I've been so focused on acquisition that I haven't done any reading about harvesting to date. It wasn't so hard to figure out when the little Super Chilis turned fire engine red that they could be picked, but since Hirt's sent some unknown bell papers as Yellow Fatalli's, I have no idea when they are really done - and no knowledge to compare/contrast against. One is crackling a little, which I Googled to find out is probably "corking" ... that means I should harvest it now, I guess? The other plant of the same unknown variety is turning a little orange, and they are crammed into a tiny little Topsy that has the soil quantity of like a 9" pot shared between 7 peppers (it was my 1st and only planting w/ multiple plants in so little medium).

photocopy.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Frankly, I'm more interested in the ghost peppers and scotch bonnet (if they turn out to be) that are sharing space, and so I ask - since I cannot yank the bell's w/o disturbing the other's roots - are the bell's using more resources from the shared medium while fruiting, or would they use more if I cut them off at the stump (because of the changes that would trigger)?

Thanks in advance for any input - it's a hard one to Google, I tried.

gm

PS - Some of you have probably been looking for this once or twice => http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lmgtfy

Hi, those bells are using "nuits" but why not harvest them till the mid summer ! The superhots' may not do much till late summer/fall...Dan

The bells will turn red. You can tell because it is already starting. The corking means it is fairly mature. Baby peppers don't cork. I don't pick peppers just because they have corking.

Based on what I have read and not anything I have measured fruiting plants use more resources. You can cut the plant down severely and it will use fewer nutes.

Corking happens in many chiles, Xalapas being the most familiar.
When Xalapas are corked and red, they are ripe. In Méjico, corked chiles have more market value.
Whether you pick Xalapas green or red depends upon what you are going to do with them....they are eaten both green and red.

Back