• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

On the resilience of peppers

Peppers, like most plants, are often the victims of too much love rather than too little. It amazes me what they can come back from, and to demonstrate this point I present you with this woefully neglected Mini Mini that should make a full recovery in short order. It started its life last year around the end of June, when I became overzealous and started a few wilds once I caught the pepper-growing bug. Being a student, I got distracted, and at some point towards the end of August, I noticed that they hadn't been watered in so long that they had completely defoliated. Having assumed them to be dead, I tossed the pots aside and forgot about them. Fast forward to the end of year, when I was cleaning around the yard and found the Mini Minis still very much alive and buried under leaves in their 3.5-inch pots. I brought them inside and stuck them in a corner while I tried to find space for them. I once again forgot about them, and then sometime in December I noticed them behind a pile of crap (I think organization skills may solve some of my problems) and saw that they were covered in aphids. Not wanting to completely abandon them, but lacking the proper control measures, I simply clipped off all the growth and put them on the table. Eventually I brought one back into the office, where it has started to flower again. The other had been sitting on the table in the spare bedroom receiving nothing but indirect light through the blinds of a north-facing window, and yet growth persisted. Today, realizing that it was long overdue, I finally potted it up.

Perhaps they'll actually make it into the ground this year.

IMGP2914.jpg

Back